Soft shadows - demo

Hello coders.
I’ uploaded a small demo (1.4mo) of soft shadows at: http://tfpsly.planet-d.net/Files/demo.zip
It includes start.bsp from Q1.

Tested ok on a Geforce 2mx under Linux and W98.

Can some people test it?

There’s a hack I don’t like much: when the camera moves, the blurred volume aren’t corretly placed anymore, so I switch back to “hard” shadows. Maybe on faster hardware the volumes would fade out fast enought not to be visible. You can test it by pressing the “n” key and move the view with the mouse.
Maybe I should instead reduce the number of displayed volume…

Thx for feedback on this forum or at sylvain@vignaud.org

The window appears completely black when it tries to render the soft shadows. Works fine with the hard shadows though.

Also I had to create a symbolic link from by libstdc++.so to libstdc++.so.5 seeing as I don’t have libstdc++.so.5 installed :]

I have the same problem on WinXP. The window stays black when rendering soft shadows.

Same problem.
GF3 Ti200, Win98 SE.

With hard shadows I see the scene but only when I move the mouse while holding the mouse button down. The scene flickers.

With soft shadows I see a black screen.

I have WinXP + Geforce 4600 Det. 41.09

Hi,

I haven’t test your demo (because I haven’t yet a good graphic card - i’m working on SGI), but I think that you’d beter try to simulate real soft shadow procesing : in software rendering, soft shadows are based on multi sample per light. This samples are based on the radius, the segment or the surface of the light.

IMHO, with your method, you will have a linear soft whadow because it’s more a motion blur (based on a direction vector) than a real multi sample method. So, you should try the same thing by moving the light on a sphere. By processing 8, 16 or more samples, you should be able to do soft shadows in static scenes.

Gaby

Hi,

Can you put a Linux version up please?

Thanks,

Old GLman

hardshadows working as the others report: no shadows if no move, else normal sharp stencil shadows.
softshadows not visible at all, unimportant if moving or not, i see the unshadowed scene.

specs:
radeon9700pro,celeron2gig,256mddr333,60gbhd+20gbhd,512kbitsdown128kbitsupadslmodem. you need anything else?
oh, win2000professional,latest service patches and releases, dx9beta and appropriate drivers for radeon installed.
and i do have a soundcard, too. never forget that!
and a dvd rom, and a cd burner. says it can do 48x, but does only 40x. could that be the problem?
sorry… couldn’t resist…

Originally posted by Old GLman:

Can you put a Linux version up please?

That is a Linux version, but you have to “chmod u+x yac3De” before you run it with “sh runme1st”. You might have to symbolically link your libstdc++.so to libstdc++.so.5 aswell.

Worked for me. Athlon 1.4 Ghz, Radeon 8500, 512 Mb RAM. Nice technic. But isn’t it a bit slow ? 30 fps for a 1500 polys scene in 640x480… ough…

Y.

works for me now, too. i had fsaa8x enabled, somehow that made problems…

looks sweet once you stand, but while moving it feels like you got too much drugs… (you aka player )

specs you know from above…

Ah, thanks Kingpin, theres still allot I don’t know about linux…!

Bit of trouble, I’m not sure where to place the symlink?

libstdc++.so exists in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96. But it is already linked to another file in /usr/lib.

Old GLman

[This message has been edited by Old GLman (edited 12-03-2002).]

C:\Games\softshadow\softShadow>viewer -m demo.3ds -q -t -a
Gizmo3D Notice::License START : 1999-01-01
Gizmo3D Notice::License STOP : 2002-11-01
Gizmo3D Notice::Licensed features has expired !! (Sorry!)
Gizmo3D::No graphics license activated !
Gizmo3D Warning::gzMutex deleted with unbalanced Lock/unLock

I cant run

Originally posted by Old GLman:
[b]Ah, thanks Kingpin, theres still allot I don’t know about linux…!

Bit of trouble, I’m not sure where to place the symlink?

libstdc++.so exists in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96. But it is already linked to another file in /usr/lib.
[/b]

I linked the libstdc++.so in /usr/lib with the largest number after it (3.0.2). Not sure how things are arranged with RH though :]

What does Gizmo3D has to do with this thread ?? Just a bit puzzled ??

Anyway SUNDY you can find a updated demo on www.tooltech-software.com but it is still not related to this thread…

/Anders

Originally posted by kingping:
I linked the libstdc++.so in /usr/lib with the largest number after it (3.0.2). Not sure how things are arranged with RH though :]

Ok, makes sense now, thanks.

Old GLman

Works for me with hard and soft shadows at about 15fps. But when I move the player the shadows move with the camera and then vanish to get redrawn were they belong.

specs:

AMD K6-II 450MHz
Geforce 2MX
RedHat 8.0

Originally posted by gaby:
[b]…you’d beter try to simulate real soft shadow procesing : in software rendering, soft shadows are based on multi sample per light. This samples are based on the radius, the segment or the surface of the light.

IMHO, with your method, you will have a linear soft whadow because it’s more a motion blur (based on a direction vector) than a real multi sample method. So, you should try the same thing by moving the light on a sphere. By processing 8, 16 or more samples, you should be able to do soft shadows in static scenes.

Gaby[/b]

Hem, that’s what I’m doing when the light does not move =)

So if I resume,

• worked for a few guy
  • worked for a few guy after disable fsaa
  • did not work at all for most guy.

=(

30fps on a Radeon sounds quite strange, I get faster results on a GF2MX (with VAR).

[This message has been edited by tfpsly (edited 12-04-2002).]

damn, cant you guys include the glut files in your archives?