display lists and memory they occupy

We have written a utility which allows us to create meshes, and then keyframe them.

I am currently drawing a sample mesh on the fly i.e passing the vertices in using GL_TRIANGLES… but would ideally like to put the individual frames into display lists.

Does anyone out there know if there are any limits on the number of display lists an application can create?

Where are display lists stored? ( does openGL use graphics card memory and when there is none left, main memory ? )

dd

Originally posted by dodgyposse:
Does anyone out there know if there are any limits on the number of display lists an application can create?

Hi,
I dont think there are limits, except available memory (RAM and VM).

Where are display lists stored? ( does openGL use graphics card memory and when there is none left, main memory ? )

dd

As far as I know, the driver decides where to put dls. From my expirience with Nvidia cards , it seems that they prefer putting them in the VM when its possible, since it gives the same performance (on small meshes) when I draw them using VAR with wglAllocateMemoryNV(…,0,1), and using dls to cache them(drawing with VA)…

Regards
Martin