Problems with ARB_pixel_format on ATI cards

Hi there

In my startup routine, i create a dummy window, then look for a pixelformat and then create the real window with that pixelformat.

However, on my Radeon 9600XT (tested with several drivers) i have a problem, which makes the pixel_format extension quite useless.

I check for the following attributes:

WGL_DRAW_TO_WINDOW_ARB, GL_TRUE,
WGL_SUPPORT_OPENGL_ARB, GL_TRUE,
WGL_DOUBLE_BUFFER_ARB, GL_TRUE,
WGL_ACCELERATION_ARB, WGL_GENERIC_ACCELERATION_ARB,
WGL_COLOR_BITS_ARB, 32,
WGL_DEPTH_BITS_ARB, 24,
WGL_STENCIL_BITS_ARB, 8,

The thing is, that it usually finds 0 pixelformats with these properties. If i use WGL_FULL_ACCELERATION instead of generic, i do get a pixelformat, but then in 80% the program halts at window creation with 0 processor use, and i have to kick it. In the other 20% it works as expected.

If i remove the acceleration thing completely, i usually get a software context. Removing the color, stencil and depth stuff seems not to change anything.

This is really weird behaviour, i really don´t know, what to do. Can anyone give me a combination, which works for him? I am not sure, if this is a problem in my application, or if it is a driver bug.

Thanks,
Jan.

hmmm i’m using that method of window creation in my windowing library and its never failed yet, i stick to ‘full acceleration’ but the idea is the same.

I’m running a 9800xt and its been tested and working with the last couple of Cat drivers (4.5 to 4.7 iirc), so i very much doubt its a driver bug, not from the infomation you’ve given anyways

Would it be possible to send me your initialization code? I am quite sure i do everything correctly, it would be nice to have a look at someone else´s code.

Jan.