PDA

View Full Version : On display list sharing

Xiaofeng
01-08-2003, 08:43 PM
It seems that some devices do not support display list sharing by return FALSE when I call wglShareLists while others work well.

How can I get rid of this problem?

p.s. Where can I download a free copy of OpenGL with source code?

Relic
01-09-2003, 03:47 AM
Make sure your code does the correct thing.

The manual says:
"You can only share display lists with rendering contexts within the same process. However, not all rendering contexts in a process can share display lists. Rendering contexts can share display lists only if they use the same implementation of OpenGL functions. All client rendering contexts of a given pixel format can always share display lists.

All rendering contexts of a shared display list must use an identical pixel format. Otherwise the results depend on the implementation of OpenGL used."

p.s. Search for "MESA" to find an OpenGL implementaiton.

Xiaofeng
01-09-2003, 04:18 AM
But what the "identical pixel format" means?

Sometimes I want to share lists between a memory(bitmap) context and a client context. The fields of dwFlags in the tructure PIXELFORMATDESCRIPTOR must be PFD_DRAW_TO_BITMAP and PFD_DRAW_TO_WINDOW, respectively. Does this means that the formats are not identical?

Thank you!

Originally posted by Relic:
Make sure your code does the correct thing.

The manual says:
"You can only share display lists with rendering contexts within the same process. However, not all rendering contexts in a process can share display lists. Rendering contexts can share display lists only if they use the same implementation of OpenGL functions. All client rendering contexts of a given pixel format can always share display lists.

All rendering contexts of a shared display list must use an identical pixel format. Otherwise the results depend on the implementation of OpenGL used."

p.s. Search for "MESA" to find an OpenGL implementaiton.

knackered
01-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Yes, the draw_to_bitmap context won't even be hardware accelerated!