new nVidia extensions?

I just downloaded the newly released nVidia 29.60 Linux driver, and took a look in the gl.h header.
I found the following
NV_texture_shader3
NV_packed_normal
NV_half_float
and perhaps most interesting:
NV_fragment_program

The NV_fragment_program has been discussed here before, but without details. Does anybody know what this is? Where the specs are?

Originally posted by Moshe Nissim:
[b]I just downloaded the newly released nVidia 29.60 Linux driver, and took a look in the gl.h header.
I found the following
NV_texture_shader3
NV_packed_normal
NV_half_float
and perhaps most interesting:
NV_fragment_program

The NV_fragment_program has been discussed here before, but without details. Does anybody know what this is? Where the specs are? [/b]

Just taking a wild stab at this… But I’m guessing the fragment program stuff is an interface like vertex program for doing fragment ops (like the texture shaders).

Sounds like NV30 stuff, except for NV_texture_shader3 which is already available on GF4 boards. NV_fragment_program has been in for quite a while, I assume it’s for NV30’s fragment shading, hopefully with a better interface than reg combiners.
The others I don’t have any clue about.

are they documented somewhere?
sgi registry hasn’t been updated with those new exts.

This is pure speculation but NV_half_float sort of sounds like a 16-bit floating point format. The things you could do with 16-bit floating point fragment precision…

Isn’t full floating point fragment ops part of D3D9 anyway?

Hi

I could imagine that NV_fragment_program is a unifying extension for texture_shaders and register_combiners.
I read while ago a presentation on nvidas devolpers site, where they introduced nv_parse. They said that it isn’t an openGL extension but later perhaps it could be?
When you look into the source code of nv_parse you see that it can parse directX (!) pixelshaders and map then on register_combiners and texture_shaders.

Perhaps the fragment program is something like a “vertex_program” for fragment with a similar syntax ?

Just some thoughts.

Bye
ScottManDeath