Interpolation and extension

Hi,

What is the best opengl extension to make interpolation between 2 vertices arrays ??

NV_vertex_program

I’m still a little leery about recommending the extension…

On one hand, I rail against people using leaked drivers (you can choose to use them, but if they don’t work, well, you got what you asked for), but on the other, I’d like people to be able to try the extension out.

Oh well. This moral conflict will go away on its own, hopefully soon.

• Matt

Yeah you’re right,
but without these extensions why should one buy a new 3D card ?? Even the “basic” (!!??) multi-texturing feature is an extension.
OpenGL seems to evolve mainly with the extension scheme (flexible but non standard) and the OpenGL maintainers don’t seems to integrate some “popular” extensions as standard features (ARB extensions are good candidates) …
BTW can someone tell me what OpenGL 1.3 is all about ??

haust,

I think Matt will be a strong advocate of NV_vertex_program as soon as it’s available in an official (not leaked) driver.

At NVIDIA, we’re all strong supporters of the OpenGL extension mechanism. Particularly ARB, EXT, and NV extensions.

Cass

Originally posted by haust:
[b]Even the “basic” (!!??) multi-texturing feature is an extension.
B]

it isnt an extension anymore check out the extension register, it saiz that its become part of the standard spec since opengl 1.2.1

Originally posted by mcraighead:
Oh well. This moral conflict will go away on its own, hopefully soon.

Do I take that as good news ?

I have been waiting for this extension since the very first release of its specs ! Even tried to mix some leaked nvogl.dll with my official NT release… (Matt, you did not read this last statement !)

Seriously, do you think that would be an “early” soon or a “late” one ?

Regards.

Eric

Mixing different versions of OpenGL and the display driver on NT is a bad idea. It is virtually guaranteed to break OpenGL if the versions differ by very much.

On Win9x, you can generally mix different versions of OpenGL and other components without worrying too much – but this has its limits.

As far as I’m concerned, ARB extensions are really part of the standard. They are approved by the ARB, and the only thing that makes them different from something in the spec is that implementing them is optional (the extension’s existence or nonexistence is really just a caps bit in disguise).

But say they weren’t optional. Would that be any more useful? If you think about it, the answer is clearly no! Because then you would just end up with a software fallback in the driver most of the time, and software fallbacks are not desirable. Even if the driver can still use HW rasterization and needs to use SW T&L, it will probably end up being more inefficient than if the app handled it.

• Matt

Originally posted by mcraighead:
Mixing different versions of OpenGL and the display driver on NT is a bad idea.

Erm…

That was even worse than that ! Got my (leaked…) 6.50 for NT and tried to use the nvogl.dll from the 7.17 for 9x…

Of course, it didn’t work !

I think I was desperate to try out the extension… Call me crazy !

At least, I am ready now: I have built the extension headers from the specs… I have even coded some samples that I will check as soon as the driver comes out !

Regards.

Eric

from cass
At NVIDIA, we’re all strong supporters of the OpenGL extension mechanism. Particularly ARB, EXT, and NV extensions.

Sure, the extension mechanism is good when you want to spread/test/share a new feature but i’d like to see those extensions become standard. This way more/most 3D cards will support them…
Are the NV_ extensions are supported by Radeon cards BTW ?? :wink: