OT: I am looking for a 3D (Game) Map builder, but....

I want to find one that I can export a mesh of triangles, instead of brushes,(like the radient map builder) Currently I am using MilkShape 3D to build my maps, which all in all for NOT being designed for this purpose, seems to work quite well. BUT, I want to find a map builder that I can control both the output (a mesh of triangles) and the input, meaning, i want to be able to control the size of polys when needed. Any suggestions.??

3D studio max…

with the max sdk you can write any import / export utility you want. max also comes with a few well known formats that you can use.

hope this helps!

there is also the new gmax which is meant for making stuff like that and is free - u can’t write plug-ins for it though (unless u buy the ‘dev’ version) - i haven’t tried it but i think it will import/export .dxf files.

So does anyone else use things like Milkshape, or 3DS Max to build there maps? I have simply found I like more control over my verts, than what radient allows.

i use milkshape for nearly everything cos i can’t really afford 3dsMax - but i am at the point now where the plug-in format for milkshape is too limiting and the lack of vertex weighting means too much post-processing … so i fear i will have to buy Max.

for more complex maps at the moment i use worldcraft hahaha cos it’s the only thing i have ever bothered to learn and you can extend it a bit with custom entity defs. (.fgd files)

Well, there’s always Blender3D. Which, as of mid-October, will be open-source.