WIN API

Hi,

I have plans for writing a 3D program but need to learn the Win API first…

Can you please recommend some books on WIN API programming???

If so, should I learn the 32bit API or the 64bit??? If I learn the 64bit API will the code be usable on a 32bit system???

Thanks!!!

Originally posted by richie:
I have plans for writing a 3D program but need to learn the Win API first…
Why? I would recommend learning the win-api as you need it, instead of going through the whole thing, and using only parts of what you’ve learned.

There’s a couple of great (but quite old) opengl/win-api tutorials on msdn.

regards,

I don’t have any books to recommend, but you don’t absolutely need to know a lot about it for 3D work. It depends on what you want to do.

If it’s simple, you may be able to use glut.

If it’s a game, you’ll probably want to have a look at some DirectX stuff (DirectInput, DirectSound - I’m not mentioning the unmentionable here… :wink: )

Anyway, the NeHe tutorials are a good place to start (even if the OpenGL practices aren’t always the most correct). http://nehe.gamedev.net/

I can’t really help you with the 64/32 bit question - but my guess is that DirectX and any OpenGL driver would still be 32 bits.
And you can address up to 4GB of memory with 32 bits, so a 64 bit OS may be nice, but for now I doubt that the applications would benefit from having 64 bit pointers.

(Slaps richie preemptively)

PS: please ask beginners’ questions in the beginners forum.

Originally posted by T101:
[b](Slaps richie preemptively)

PS: please ask beginners’ questions in the beginners forum.[/b]
Even there would be inappropriate.

Win32 API is not opengl. Why come to this board with this kind of question in the first place is beyond me. GameDev.net has a million different disscussion boards for just about everything, and that’s just ONE site.

Why is knowing what message board to post questions on so hard to grasp?

-SirKnight

Here’s a good, but “quite old” tutorial on msdn for you to look over. It may be better to ask this sort of question in the beginner forum, they probably would’ve been a little nicer there.
:rolleyes:

hi,
thanks for the replies! ok sorry i just thought it would be ok to post the question here, since its part of opengl, without a windowing system whats the point…

its not a game, its a modeler, and i cant use GLUT, its too slow and im planning on a lot of functionality…

i wont post these sort of questions again…

anyway, thanks for the links!

cheers!