PDA

View Full Version : WIN API

richie
07-11-2005, 03:15 AM
Hi,

I have plans for writing a 3D program but need to learn the Win API first...

Can you please recommend some books on WIN API programming???

If so, should I learn the 32bit API or the 64bit??? If I learn the 64bit API will the code be usable on a 32bit system????

Thanks!!!

Mikkel Gjoel
07-11-2005, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by richie:
I have plans for writing a 3D program but need to learn the Win API first...Why? I would recommend learning the win-api as you need it, instead of going through the whole thing, and using only parts of what you've learned.

There's a couple of great (but quite old) opengl/win-api tutorials on msdn.

regards,

T101
07-11-2005, 04:41 AM
I don't have any books to recommend, but you don't absolutely need to know a lot about it for 3D work. It depends on what you want to do.

If it's simple, you may be able to use glut.

If it's a game, you'll probably want to have a look at some DirectX stuff (DirectInput, DirectSound - I'm not mentioning the unmentionable here... ;) )

Anyway, the NeHe tutorials are a good place to start (even if the OpenGL practices aren't always the most correct). http://nehe.gamedev.net/

I can't really help you with the 64/32 bit question - but my guess is that DirectX and any OpenGL driver would still be 32 bits.
And you can address up to 4GB of memory with 32 bits, so a 64 bit OS may be nice, but for now I doubt that the applications would benefit from having 64 bit pointers.

T101
07-11-2005, 05:00 AM
(Slaps richie preemptively)

PS: please ask beginners' questions in the beginners forum.

SirKnight
07-11-2005, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by T101:
(Slaps richie preemptively)

PS: please ask beginners' questions in the beginners forum.Even there would be inappropriate.

Win32 API is not opengl. Why come to this board with this kind of question in the first place is beyond me. GameDev.net has a million different disscussion boards for just about everything, and that's just ONE site.

Why is knowing what message board to post questions on so hard to grasp?

-SirKnight

kingjosh
07-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Here's a good, but "quite old" tutorial on msdn (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnopen/html/msdn_gl1.asp) for you to look over. It may be better to ask this sort of question in the beginner forum, they probably would've been a little nicer there.
:rolleyes:

richie
07-14-2005, 12:41 AM
hi,
thanks for the replies! ok sorry i just thought it would be ok to post the question here, since its part of opengl, without a windowing system whats the point...

its not a game, its a modeler, and i cant use GLUT, its too slow and im planning on a lot of functionality...

i wont post these sort of questions again...

anyway, thanks for the links!

cheers!