OT: download for testing

I have uploaded a small project to my web page.
I was wondering if some people can test it out on their systems.
Tell me what OS, video card, driver you have if it runs ok or not.

Comments, suggestions, complaints are welcomed.

The file contains instructions on what to do, but knowledge of texture_env_combine is a requirement so this is not something for everyone.
http://www.geocities.com/vmelkon/test.html

If someone can mirror it on their web site temporarily, I’ll appreciate it.
Yes, I know, you hate geocities and I should get a real web site. I agee with you!

V-man

When I run it it says it can’t find MSVCRTD.dll.

WinXP, GF4 XP2000.

[This message has been edited by Adrian (edited 01-31-2003).]

Same problem here …

Diapolo

That is the

“Microsoft C runtime library”

A search gave me this http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/fortune/570/msvcrt.html

I guess you could compile it in a way, that people don´t need that DLL, even if the exe file gets a bit bigger .

Diapolo

The app isn’t built in debug mode is it? (Hence the D on the end of msvcrtD.dll).

Hmmmm this is what Geocity tells me:

“The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer. Visit our help area for more information.”

I’d like to look at your demo though.

Originally posted by rgpc:
The app isn’t built in debug mode is it? (Hence the D on the end of msvcrtD.dll).

No the app is release mode (static linking used) and so are the DLLs except for DevIL (static linking not used). Unfortunatly I lost my DevIL project so …

I uploaded that pesky DLL.

I’m assuming you guys dont use VC++?

I think 24 people downloaded already so it pisses the server. Just be patient.

I’ve mirrored it here, http://www.yr20.dial.pipex.com/surfaceeditor.zip

It includes the DLL.

I do use VC++, VC .NET.

[This message has been edited by Adrian (edited 01-31-2003).]

bumping the thread up!

So, anyone noticed any flaws?

PS: thanks Adrian

Mad “advanced” mode in the texture stage setup - looks a bit odd when shown next to nice neat MFC dialogs…
You’re not going for a shader type system then? Just sticking with the old combiner system?
On a useability note - it’s annoying that you’re not remembering the different directories people browse to in the shape open and texture open dialogs…you should keep seperate records of where they last browsed to.

[This message has been edited by knackered (edited 02-02-2003).]

Mad “advanced” mode in the texture stage setup - looks a bit odd when shown next to nice neat MFC dialogs…

Perhaps it’s mad. Remember that it’s ment to be different yet it has similarity to old windows. It works like a windowing system, all double buffered, benifitting from 3D hardware.
But if you dont like it, that’s what I want to hear.

You’re not going for a shader type system then? Just sticking with the old combiner system?

If shader means access to total programmibility, then you are pretty much asking for something like Rendermonkey.
That’s a bit more sophisticated and I dont think the general public will be able to handle it.
The general public may be tempted to play with what I currently have since it’s totally “point and click”.

useability note

This program is not my main program. This is serving as a test bed.

PS: don’t open PNG files

Sorry, what is the purpose of your app?

It works well on my Radeon 9700. The interface is a bit longwinded. I think some defaults would help. Having to go through two stages in two different dialogs (loading the texture then applying it) seems a bit longwinded. Having to select the texture, then the mode then clicking activate is also long, that’s 3 actions when one would be better.

For example selecting the texture should activate and use a default application mode, that’s one click, then optionally you can edit for the mode. Activate is redundant since the menuto select the texture has an inactive mode.

>>>Sorry, what is the purpose of your app?<<<

If you mean my main project…
It is a design tool for doing 3D text (mainly) so it’s not for you guys
I want it to be simple, but have a few fancy features, giving the user a good creative control.

//--------
dorbie,

>>>It works well on my Radeon 9700.<<<
That’s good to hear.

I could allow the user build up a library of images and get rid of this loading business.

I’ll change the activate to deactivate so that people dont have to go through the drop down list.

Selecting the TexGen is an important part. I can set it up a different way : check box, or button instead of drop down list.

But it’s not a real pain to use this thing, right?

Besides, that I can add something where the user chooses an effect. A lot interesting things are possible but for now the only way to get to them is from the advanced section.

Thanks for your input.
V-man