wglAllocateMemoryNV

This may be a bit premature to ask, but
what are the reasons wglAllocateMemory
would fail? I’ve recieved a pointer from
wglGetProcAddress but wglAllocateMemory
always returns null no matter how much
memory i ask for.

The demos on delphi3d.net won’t run either.
One complains of not being able to alloc mem.
I can however run nVidia’s VAR demo just fine.

any ideas?

I’ve seen/heard of at least two people who couldn’t allocate AGP memory on their machines – only video memory. In one of the cases, the GL_RENDERER string indicated the card as being a PCI one, even when it was most certainly an AGP one.

You might want to check this on your machine – look at the GL_RENDERER string and also try both video and AGP memory. Unfortunately, assuming that you are indeed experiencing the same problem, I haven’t a clue of how to solve it

– Tom

That’s exactly whats happening… sigh

Thanks for the insight.

This may be a dumb question, but have you actually installed an AGP driver?

Originally posted by richardve:
This may be a dumb question, but have you actually installed an AGP driver?

Can you tell me how NOT to install an AGP driver then? If I download Detonator drivers from NVidia, all I do is double-click setup.exe and wait for it to say “please reboot”.

– Tom

Originally posted by Tom Nuydens:
[b] Can you tell me how NOT to install an AGP driver then? If I download Detonator drivers from NVidia, all I do is double-click setup.exe and wait for it to say “please reboot”.

– Tom[/b]

Eeek, AGP drivers are provided by the chipset manufacturer, certainly not by NVidia.

Oh, THAT kind of AGP driver. My bad

Well, I think the same remark applies to those, actually. I don’t think I’ve ever been given the option to enable or disable a motherboard’s AGP support. I’ll see if I can reproduce the problem – the machine it occured on has been formatted and reinstalled numerous times since the last time it occured.

– Tom

I’ll give that a shot. I have two machines
with via chipsets. One of which I think has
the 4in1 drivers installed and the other I’m
pretty sure does not. I’ll give it a try
when I get home and let you know how it went.

Originally posted by Tom Nuydens:
I don’t think I’ve ever been given the option to enable or disable a motherboard’s AGP support. I’ll see if I can reproduce the problem – the machine it occured on has been formatted and reinstalled numerous times since the last time it occured.

I believe the AGP driver for Intel chipsets is installed by default with any version of Windows…
But for VIA chipsets it doesn’t install one (but now there’s Windows XP… which does install an AGP driver @ installation time, finally)

I’m not really sure about the Intel driver though since I’m using a VIA chipset myself.

Oh and FlavorICE, you can also check your Device Manager to see if there’s an AGP driver installed (System Devices).

Yep, no agp driver… Niether system had one
installed.

Thanks, I would have never solved that as
quickly without everyones help. Hopefully my
next problem is a bit more complicated