I need urgent advice! - Graphic cards compatibility.

Hi.

I’m developing an application with 2D GUI implemented using OpenGL. The development was on MAC, and it works fine. On windows, I have some problems in some graphic cards on different windows machines (mostly windows XP).

This app. uses OpenGL only for GUI.
The common user is sound men.
The app. requirement should not contain specific graphic cards.

I would like to get your advice in order to decide if implementing the GUI using OpenGL was a good decision or I have to find an alternative.

My main considerations are:

1. What is the cost (development efforts) of full graphic cards compatibility support (Using OpenGL).
  2. What kind of problems in performance I might have. (Such as very slow drawing in some graphics cards (Matrox G450) while using glDrawPixels).

Any other consideration you suggest.

Any suggestion how to implement it in a better way?

Thanks a lot.
Itzik.Itzik.

Originally posted by itzike:
[b]Hi.
My main considerations are:

1. What is the cost (development efforts) of full graphic cards compatibility support (Using OpenGL).
  2. What kind of problems in performance I might have. (Such as very slow drawing in some graphics cards (Matrox G450) while using glDrawPixels).
    Any other consideration you suggest.
    [/b]
    glDrawPixels is on most older graphics-hardware a real pain. it is very slow… (some new hw, can handle it fast enough, but you can’t count on this)

when you are already drawing your gui-items using textured quads, there should be no problems at all, as long as you use only the opengl1.1-core functions.

I have found that the bottom 15% of the market of machines sold TODAY have OpenGL drivers that are buggy enough that you can’t ship a rich, commercial OpenGL application on them.

Thus, you have to legislate something like “NVIDIA, ATI or Intel graphics only, please”, or you’ll have to re-implement your UI either using regular widgets (GDI), or using Direct3D. However, even with Direct3D, driver quality varies.