Quake III vs Doom III - I think I'm going to pass out.

I installed Q3 yesterday out of pure boredom and I’m still gobsmacked by how good it looks. After watching the DIII video today, I think I’m going to pass out if I ever get my hands on a copy.

The thing that bothers me however, is that once again I’m 5 years behind everybody else (just cracked the BSP\Portal engine).

Sorry, make that 10 years.

Well, one of the 3D engines I am still working on (just for fun, not for real work !) uses spacecut instead of z-buffer (this dates back from the Atari Falcon 030 years…) so I am probably behind by more than 10 years !

Regards

Eric

P.S.: don’t go about explaining me that z-buffer is the way to go, I know that…

Damn, and I don’t even know what spacecut is!

I’ll notch myself back 50 years then… maybe I can get a polygon to rasterise and measure it’s performance in scanlines per hour.

-Mezz

That far back and you can start talking about LED displays (all those flashing lights!) - when a single pixel could be measured in feet and inches

Originally posted by Robbo:

That far back and you can start talking about LED displays (all those flashing lights!) - when a single pixel could be measured in feet and inches

Hi

here at school we are developing a LED display matrix with around 128x128 pixels with 16 greyshades.The LEDS ar contolled by a 8bit microcontroller for each 12 LEDS, so we have real multiprocessing When we have a fast interface from PC to the LED display, I’ll port Quake I or II to the LEDS, it would not be that problem, just read back the frame buffer and sent it to the LED

… and then talk about beeing years behind

Bye
ScottManDeath

I guess your classroom must be rotating near the speed of light just outside the event horizon of a black hole.

I’ve got a great idea!

Just create an OpenGL 1.3 implementation for the Gameboy Advance and you’ll be lightyears ahead of other people…

(and I would be very thankful )

Sounds like Pixel Planes with a display pixel per ALU.

Having an ALU per pixel is only a part of the battle. Program length? SIMD vs MIMD? Memory fetch? Bandwidth?

I doubt you’ll be running Quake, maybe some little graphics program to help draw with data overhead carefully mamaged.

[This message has been edited by dorbie (edited 06-17-2002).]

I thought there was no such thing as a blue LED?

They’re more recent tech than green or red LED’s, but they’ve been around for a few years now. You can pick them up lots of different places.

– Zeno

I think that systems like this are pretty much used in advertising. I have seen large ones and I think they use light bulb sized LEDs or something (a bulb with 50 LEDs inside). LEDs are getting popular, used on police cars, ambulance, buses, traffic lights. There are UV LEDs as well.

V-man

As OT as it can be, but what the heck

>There are UV LEDs as well

…and Infrared LEDs, and combined LEDs that can do R, G and B, and even laser diodes

The neat thing is, the power input to light output ratio is quite a bit better with an LED than with a bulb (almost no energy dissipation in form of heat). So, even putting 50 or 100 LEDs together to reach brightness comparable to a light bulb will probably result in less power consumption.

Eric… I still have my Falcon030 at home

When I was at Uni, I shared a house with a guy who was doing his P.H.D. thesis on light-emitting polymers. I do believe Cambridge Uni has spun off his and others work into a company which will bring these new screen types to the market. Apparently they will allow screens to be mapped onto almost any shape (even your t-shirt).