PDA

View Full Version : A New OpenGL book.

selwakad
02-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Over a year ago, i got this book "openGL extensions guide" and it addressed a lot of the new extensions. I was wondering if someone would care to write a similar book with the latest extensions and the new core functions of OGL 2.0, with examples showing how to use them in real applications.
I think that such a book would be a valuable resource to the OGL community.
unfortunately, OGL books are not that many (compared to the DX books out there).
So I hope that someone from NVidai or ATI or anyone with the proper knowledge publish such a book. I know that i will buy it.

Thanks. :)

dorbie
02-27-2006, 10:21 AM
There are truckloads of OpenGL books out there.

There's a new 2.0 red book but it didn't seem to be much different from the others or go into much detail on glslang which is the main feature of 2.0. But I thik it gives you coverage.

If you want the newest stuff on shaders in OpenGL you should probably look at the Orange Book, second edition.

http://www.3dshaders.com/joomla/

selwakad
02-27-2006, 10:45 AM
I already have both, the red book and the orange book. what I don't have is the blue book(the reference).

dorbie
02-27-2006, 11:35 AM
The blue book is a waste, you can get all that and the specs online.

knackered
02-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Is this advanced discussion or help?

dorbie
02-27-2006, 01:48 PM
I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for books & references on the latest features here, they are almost always advanced.

sqrt[-1]
02-28-2006, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by dorbie:
The blue book is a waste, you can get all that and the specs online. I actually use the blue book a lot. It has a lot of nice "interaction"/"whats related" information and indicates what version of OpenGL each function/type came in at.

jtipton
02-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Is there a blue book for 2.0? I have been searching and have not found it. I am also a fan of the blue book.

selwakad
02-28-2006, 09:22 AM
I can't find the blue book for 2.0 on Amazon either... Had I found it, I would have bought it.
:(

knackered
02-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by dorbie:
I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for books & references on the latest features here, they are almost always advanced. But this is all in the faq, it's not objective stuff worth discussing, it's information available in a miriad of other sources. You're a moderator, you're setting a bad example. ;)

dorbie
02-28-2006, 01:25 PM
If I was a better moderator I'd delete more posts like yours ;-). There's a certain irony to you complaining about my moderation, and you're bumping a thread that you object to which would die of it's own accord.

However, as always thanks for the input. There is a "report post" link at the bottom of each post if you want to inform the moderators of a problem post in future. I'll be happy to give your objections an audience.

Coconut
03-01-2006, 05:01 AM
If you are in the US, and want to buy those red\blue\orange OpenGL books, you may want to check out their publisher's website and order from them. They offer great discount(35% ) and free shipping.