ARB_Frag... hmmmmm?

Just read some of the ARB_Fragment_Program spec. This snippet caught my eye:

<QUOTE>
(17) Should fragment programs affect all fragments, or just those produced by the rasterization of points, lines, and triangles?

RESOLVED: Every fragment generated by the GL is subject to fragment program mode.  This includes point, line, and polygon primitives as well as pixel rectangles and bitmaps.

</QUOTE>

I’m sure I’m just stating the obvious, but the news of this extension came as a surprise to me… Does this mean that I could say, bump_map™ wire frame geometry?

Yes, you could. More interestingly, you could apply anisotropic lighting to it to get more correct illumination.

-Evan

why would you need to?

An bump mapping lines and points wasn’t possible before?

What the ****!

V-man

How could you tell a line is even bumpy? Well maybe a thick line but not a pixel width line normally used for wireframe mode.

Hmm, I guess that also means we can have bumpy GL_POINTS. Welllll…bumpy particles in a particle system. That might be cool, then again maybe not.

-SirKnight

Dunno about you guys, but what about bump-mapped point sprites?! Or even better effects, like fire, or a water spring (things that envolve complex translucent calculations)

Dan

Originally posted by Dan82181:
[b]Dunno about you guys, but what about bump-mapped point sprites?! Or even better effects, like fire, or a water spring (things that envolve complex translucent calculations)

Dan[/b]

Yes! That’s exactly what I’m talking about. I used to work in the pre-rendered graphics field for about 2 years… Long story, short : It’s common to create point-sprite esque particle systems in MAX (etc) to which you can apply a texture/bump map to.

I see no reason not to be able to do that here. Again, you may not want to. But it’s nice to have to tool at your disposal if so required. No?