How to know how much memory one uses?

Is there a way to get how much of the graphics cards real memory one uses? And in the case it does, what that memory is used for? ( textures, geometry, framebuffers etc.)

I’ve tried OpenGL Profiler and Driver Monitor on Mac OS X to get this kind of info but I can’t find similar tools on Windows or Linux.

I tried gDEBugger(2 beta) and it seems like an ok tool on most accounts but I couldn’t find any info on the memory usage of my app.

Such info is not made available through OpenGL, as it depends too much from the hardware (how does the card manages its memory, memory alignment, etc).

For NV cards there is NVPerfHUD :
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfhud_home.html

I got the impression that NVPerfHUD only supported D3D?

You may be right Filip, but I think I read somewhere that it works in GL too.
Anyway this one is said to work for both GL and D3D :
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfkit_home.html

Yes, NVPerfHUD is only for D3D.

-SirKnight

Latest RC should work with GL too if I’m not mistaken…

yes it works but i can say that, when i turn on driver instrumentation, the system starts behave very strange. I get access violations from various aplications, but the most bizarre is that i cant send file through ICQ 2005 :slight_smile:

I think you dudes are mixing up NVPerfHUD(DX only) and NVPerfKit(Both OpenGL and DX).

yeah, you are right. I missread the name of the aplication :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Filip and All

You can use gDEBugget version 2.0 to view video and AGP memory consumption on NVIDIA boards.
You first have to install NVIDIA NVPerfKit and the NVIDIA instrumented driver. Then you can use gDEBugger to view NVIDIA counters.

gDEBugger version 2.0 (beta) can be downloaded from here
It supports NVIDIA, 3DLabs, OS and gDEBugger counters.
The official version release is planned for 2 weeks from today.

The gDEBugger team
http://www.gremedy.com

That seems nice. I’ll try that right away. Thanks for the hint.

Hmmm… After installing the instrumented driver and the perf kit I get “strange” behaviour from windows. I get a message box poped up when I try to access the control panel. (that is, the explorer window containing all controls, not just the perf control) The message box says that nvmapi reports that i don’t have the HW necessary for GPU counters.
The user guide states that 6800 GT, ultra and 6600 GT is supported hardware so I assumed that the 6800(regular) that I use also was supported but but it seems I was wrong. In any case, it doesn’t work for me. :frowning: I’m going back to the regular drivers (77.77) instead for the time being.

Hmmm… After installing the instrumented driver and the perf kit I get “strange” behaviour from windows. I get a message box poped up when I try to access the control panel. (that is, the explorer window containing all controls, not just the perf control) The message box says that nvmapi reports that i don’t have the HW necessary for GPU counters.
The user guide states that 6800 GT, ultra and 6600 GT is supported hardware so I assumed that the 6800(regular) that I use also was supported but but it seems I was wrong. In any case, it doesn’t work for me. :frowning: I’m going back to the regular drivers (77.77) instead for the time being.