glClipPlanes and flickering ..

Hi. I’m using glClipPlane to cut out a box in my scene. Polygons lying on one of the clipPlanes will flicker on/off when I change my viewpoint.Any sugggestions to what I may be doing wrong?

Does it looks like z-fighting ? If so, move slitghly the clip plane along its normal, or try to fiddle with polygon offset.

Originally posted by ZbuffeR:
Does it looks like z-fighting ? If so, move slitghly the clip plane along its normal, or try to fiddle with polygon offset.

It is z-fighting. I have tried moving the clip plane slightly, it then works fine. The problem is that the box defining the culling is to be moved by the user, so I can’t adjust the clip planes. Is the flickering to be expected?

Hi bp,

Yes. This is to be expected. Traditional clipping hardware generates new triangles when it clips and those will produce slightly different interpolated depth.

Note: NVIDIA GeForceFX and QuadroFX hardware is depth-invariant with user clip planes, but this invariance is not mandated by the API.

Thanks -
Cass

Thanks Cass.
Helps to know the source of the problem. I’ll try to figure out som ingenious scheme to deal with it.

bp