Hairy balls

Hi,

I need to make a scene containing two hairy balls that roll about. I don’t want to use textures, because the hair must stick out. How can I make the hair look natural (curly), whilst still being able to animate?

Thanks.

so let me get this right
u wanna draw ‘a pair of balls with short curly hair’
perhaps for one hair use a GL_LINE_STRIP of maybe 10 lines.
find distributed points on the balls surface. anchor the hairs here and draw them radiating out drom the center of the ball

That was certainly a more serious and clean reply to that post than I expected to see :O)

Try running a Google search on “hairy balls”. That should turn up a few interesting research papers

• Tom

P.S.: Hugues Hoppe’s site has one of them: http://research.microsoft.com/~hoppe

I was a bit peeved that the DX8 dev. kit didn’t ship with the much "Ooo-ahhh"ed at fuzzy bunny demo

The samples on Hoppe’s site are awesome!!! Read the .pdf document. They get about 15 fps for a dog with fur!

Yeah, that’s really a GREAT page!
How does one get into such a career? I mean, can one study to get computer graphics scientific??? How does he get his money?

Oh, anybody wants to join writing a c vm with me? It’s just too much work… Well, I think no.

i did try hairy balls with google and got this site.
www.troma.com/girls/penis_monster.html
“Harry Balls will give you advise on any subject. Just tickle his big red spot to learn his pearl necklaces of wisdom.”

so if anyone has any difficult opengl questions that they cant find an answer to pls ask them to the above site.
and best of all it works