*BREAKING NEWS* Microsoft re-enters ARB!

Read details here: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9662

very interesting was the statement of the DirectX product-manager, i read at the last weekend:
“…the next years there will be no major directx updates, because directX9 has enough abilities to empower the games for the next years…”

good question, what this means to us GL-people.

Okay, I’ll bite… I can’t find the fargin article.

Am I just having one of my episodes again, or is it really not there (tried a search; no joy).

I dunno…

Is this for real? MS is NOT going to update DX for some YEARS. YAY, finaly opengl might be able to swoop in and steal back some glory. Im just hoping that gl 2.0 is all its cracked up to be. And that the card industry supports it.

April fools!

What other countries or cultures honor this rediculous holiday, anyways?

I’m just glad that NVidia released their linux drivers yesterday. That would have been quite a bad april joke…

I’m starting to be upp full of April jokes. I fall into almost every one of them. (
-I wish this horrible day was over allready…

It makes sense that Microsoft will not release a DirectX 10 until Longhorn rolls around, and I believe that to be years away.

They may update/extend DirectX 9 by adding newer pixel shader profiles, though. Note that pretty much all the “plumbing” they need for the next few years is there. All they need to add are new vertex/pixel shader language profiles, and possibly pixel/surface format kinds; all of which can be done without extending the API.

Now, whether they’re re-entering the ARB or not, I have no idea, but I know that they could live fine for a few years without releasing a new DirectX version (at least as far as 3D graphics go).

It would be smart for MS to work with the ARB and make sure Windows is THE BEST platform for OpenGL, thereby undercutting their workstations competitors. That doesn’t mean that they’d see it that way, though. Whether the specific article is a hoax or not, I don’t have a clue.

Originally posted by JONSKI:
[b]April fools!

What other countries or cultures honor this rediculous holiday, anyways?[/b]

In my country it is called Prima Aprilis.
If you manage to fool sb, you must later say:
“Its April fool, I got you!”.

Originally posted by MichaelK:
If you manage to fool sb, you must later say: “Its April fool, I got you!”.
to juz chyba zmysliles.

Originally posted by 3k0j:
[b] [quote]Originally posted by MichaelK:
If you manage to fool sb, you must later say: “Its April fool, I got you!”.
to juz chyba zmysliles.

[/b][/QUOTE]

Im not fibbing! I remember, when I was a child… It was sth like that:
“Prima Aprilis, bo sie pomylisz”.