Size of display lists - come back

Hola!
I’ve already asked that question in beginners forum and I got only 1 - however from Bob, so I suppose, a good, but not quite satisfying me - answer…

How can I control memory on my card (GF2 mx 32RAM) I can spend on OpenGL display lists…?
Or at least how do I test an amount of free memory on my card?

I built in a little quake3 map renderer into my engine. I decided to put rendering stuff into display list (got a little speedup from 50 to 140 fps ). However since I can’t control memory on my card, compiling third quake3 map into display list results in switching into software mode (down to 0.5 fps ).

Wouldn’t display lists be of kinda no use if there was no way of knowing at least if they succeded, there’s not even a word mentioned in OpenGL manuals on display lists about that problem.

Or are display lists not meant to store bigger stuff than some cubes and fonts?

Thanks anyone who can help.

I didn’t read Bob’s reply but expect it to be like this:
It’s beyond the user’s control where display lists are stored. Depending on the implementation and hardware they can be anywhere; on the board, in AGP memory, in virtual memory, even on a different computer with the original client/server idea.

Display lists can definitely store tons of commands.

Could also be that display lists were stored in virtual memory and your host is swapping because the third map didn’t fit?

Or even unrelated to the display lists but probably the real problem: Did you open multiple big OpenGL windows? Might also be that your third one didn’t find enough video memory for the color and depth buffers to render hardware accelerated?

Thanks for your reply!

But why the hell it’s forbidden to know display list final size for example!!?

[QUOTE]
It’s beyond the user’s control where display lists are stored. Depending on the implementation and hardware they can be anywhere; on the board, in AGP memory, in virtual memory
[/QOUTE] (EDIT: why no quotes??)

So you can’t control it from user OpenGL interface?

BTW…No, I have one OpenGL window, all quake3 maps are rendered to one window (looks a bit weird but it’s just for testing purposes)

[This message has been edited by MickeyMouse (edited 11-21-2002).]

(EDIT: why no quotes??)

You have misspelled the closing tag.

So you can’t control it from user OpenGL interface?

That is correct.

But why the hell it’s forbidden to know display list final size for example!!?

It’s not forbidden.Noone will arrest you if you find out somehow.But the driver won’t expose it.A possible reason for that would be that it’s more or less useless.Since you don’t get any guarantees on where your list is stored what good is knowing the size of it.And then again you can’t just add up all sizes and comapre to available video memory because of fragmentation etc.So you’ll just end up guessing which isn’t a very good idea.