Glut Display reload?

I have noticed, when i play games that require opengl that when you switch display modes (resolution, depth etc) the game reloads the new settings. This is because (I assume) that you have to break out of the Glut main loop inorder to do this, and as we all know, GLUT controls everything when its run.

So my question is this, if im using glut, and would like to switch display values (resolution etc how could it be done without having to reload the program all togeather?

Just because the program uses OpenGL doesn’t mean it uses GLUT for window management. Even if you don’t use GLUT, you have to reload everything. It’s not because you have to break out of any loops, it’s because when changing display settings, you have to destroy and recreate the rendering context. It’s the rendering context that has everything related to OpenGL (like textures and display lists).

But you don’t have to reload everything. It’s enough to reload textures and other stuff that you give to OpenGL. Stuff like level data doesn’t have to be reloaded if you magane it yourself.