PDA

View Full Version : YADB (Yet Another Driver Bug ?)

ToolTech
11-10-2004, 11:58 PM
Description... VBO reused index
Driver... any NV driver

I have made a small test app that creates VBOs for shadow volumes when a light is stopped and they are not updated for a while to get higher performance. When the light moves again the VBOs are dropped. To get a distributed load on the driver over a number of frames I recylce the VBO ids in batches.

The small test app allocates 10 index and then drops all these in a batch. This works fine with non indexed geometry but when I use indexed geometry, the app bails out on the second draw call. I guess it triggers the first one..

First i get id 1..10 for vbo id by glGenBuffers

The draw calls uses then 1,3,5 etc for GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER and 2,4,6.. for GL_ARRAY_BUFFER

Then after 10 allocations i drop all the used VBOs id with a glDeleteBuffers and this works ok

Then i allocate just like before and get id 1 for GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER and id 2 for GL_ARRAY_BUFFER

The first draw call is ok but the app crashes in DrvCopyContext in the second draw call using these "reallocated" id when i use indexed geometry. Non index version works fine. All indexes are fine, sizes of buffers ok.

I use glDrawRangeElements(GZ_TRIANGLE_STRIP... for the draw call.

Any hints ?? My mistake ?? Driver ??

Test files...

You can find test at http://www.gizmosdk.com/download/demos/win32/nvbugg.zip

Run the runme.bat and press 'l' (small L) to get the light stop movin. After approx 5 presses, the 10 VBO ids are recylced and the app allocates id 1 and 2 again. So go ahead and press 'l' a number of times...

sqrt[-1]
11-11-2004, 01:57 PM
No help, but I didn't get any crashes on ATI/Intel. Crash on Geforce 6800. Are you 100% sure the index buffer memory is valid? Have you done appropiate locks/unlocks on the buffer? Any existing locks or accesses on the bufferes that were deleted?

dbugger
11-13-2004, 06:18 AM
Ran fine on ATI radeon 9700.. Crash on geforceFX 5900XT. Double check nvidia docs before reporting a bug, might be some obscure detail in the implementation that's not allowed on nv hw.. gl :)

cru
11-13-2004, 09:18 AM
I'll run your test on nVidia FX 3000 hardware if you want. You'll have to post the source code though, I don't run binaries on my systems from untrusted sources.