GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3
GL_KTX_buffer_region
GL_MTX_fragment_shader
GL_NV_texgen_reflection
GL_SGIS_multitexture
GL_SGIS_texture_lod

Too bad for the lack of HDM extension

Notice the GL_MTX_fragment_shader extension… it will be interesting see how capable this extension is.

Source: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1158

No support for vertex displacement mapping in OpenGL ? They’ve got to be kidding ! They’re doing all their advertisements based on that so-called incredible new feature, to not make it available in OpenGL…?

Y.

Matrox have very poor history when it comes to OpenGl. Slow D3D to OGL wrappers with G200, buggy OGL driver and lack of EMBM support under OGL with G400…

Their failure to expose DM under OpenGL once again shows their complete lack of commitment. No surprises here.

[This message has been edited by JackM (edited 06-04-2002).]

I read somewhere Haig (Matrox Tech Support) Said that they were expecting the professional comunity to adopt HDM way before the gaming one. I wonder how they could if there is not such extension…
You could do so many interesting things with HDM! I hope a extension will follow…

we still dont know what the
GL_MTX_fragment_shader
hides… a displacement mapp seams like a fragment operation.

We know that Displacement Mapping under DX9 is a per-vertex/tessellation feature, not per-pixel, so its unlikely that Matrox will expose DispMap in their MTX_fragment extension. However, they may have learned their lesson with dev-support and could be about to expose DispMap in another extension (the original article says that this is most but not all of their extensions). They never got widespread support for EMBM, not many games used it. However, there is certain to be strong interest in DispMap and if there is enough demand, i suspect there will be GL support.

At least they have a ‘fast’ way to ‘send’ the geometry to the hw. And it is not a new extension, it is ATI_vertex_array_object and ATI_element_array for indices. Currently we ‘just’ have to support nv_vertex_array_range and ati_vertex_array_object (and cva and the absence of all of them). Maybe some happy day the ARB will promote one unique extension to make life easier to us.

Originally posted by Cab:
Maybe some happy day the ARB will promote one unique extension to make life easier to us.

From the ARB notes it appears that won’t happen before OpenGL 2.0, although listening to 3Dlabs it seems they want that ratified fairly quickly - they want the OpenGL 2.0 shading language specification ready for review by Siggraph.

Did anyone else notice the GL_EXT_vertex_array_object and GL_EXT_element_array?!?!

Is this GL_ATI_vertex_array_object and GL_ATI_element_array promoted to EXT status?!

I hope they get support for a glDrawArrays{ATI|EXT} or something like that, glDrawRangeElementArrayATI and glDrawElementArrayATI are really horrible interfaces for drawing primitives with element_array (no offence ATI, they just don’t fit well with how I organize my data)

ATI_vertex_array_object

if you read carefully, you’ll see that there is EXT_vertex_array_object in as well…

i guess ati will take that one soon in as well… then we have

EXT_vertex_shader
and
EXT_vertex_array_object

only nvidia would need to support them as well… but i guess they wont…

EXT_vertex_shader

Hopefully, in the June ARB meeting (next week acording to last meeting notes), they can finish the spec for the ARB_vertex_program.
(http://www.opengl.org/developers/about/arb/notes/meeting_note_2002-03-05.html)

Hey Cab, did you also happen to notice that Matrox will be hosting the next ARB meeting?!?!

No shadow buffer support? Ick!

Originally posted by Ysaneya:
No support for vertex displacement mapping in OpenGL ? They’ve got to be kidding ! They’re doing all their advertisements based on that so-called incredible new feature, to not make it available in OpenGL…?

I’ve got an answer from 3Dlabs regarding the support for Displacement Mapping in OpenGL:
http://www.beyond3d.com/articles/p10tech/index.php?page=page6.inc