volume fog and lights

hi there, i am intrested in articles that explains how to render volumetric lighting and fog. i could find any, and i dont want to draw a blended quad to simulate volume lights, im intrested to know how lights and fog are created in nocturne or alone in the dark 4. this effect where a player gets into a volume light, parts of the light are hidden, and diffrent rays of lights are created is really intresting. so if you how it is done or an article about it, tell me.

no ideas or info?

Originally posted by okapota:
hi there, i am intrested in articles that explains how to render volumetric lighting and fog. i could find any, and i dont want to draw a blended quad to simulate volume lights, im intrested to know how lights and fog are created in nocturne or alone in the dark 4. this effect where a player gets into a volume light, parts of the light are hidden, and diffrent rays of lights are created is really intresting. so if you how it is done or an article about it, tell me.

I can render volumetric lighting . the point
light is a solid sphere. You can create a index table to create PHONG’S or GOURAUD shading method!

so what you are doing is using textured polygons. no, thats not what im looking for, thats like simulating shadows with projected polygons, not real.thank you anyway. any other ideas?

You know shadow volumes ?
Light volumes works as well, that’s how it works in RE:CV (Dreamcast) and Alone in the drak 4.
With a Dreamcast it’s hardware supported so fast and easy.
However you can do it with a stencil buffer.

I think a light+shadow volume system will work for what you want, no idea about the speed.

really? good, that was exactly what i had in mind, i figured out that using the volumes for shadows and for volume lighting is a smart way of taking advantage of this techniqe. when an object gets into the light volume, new polygons for the volume are created. great, thank you, but how do you know thats the way it is done in alone4?
and what is that second game you mentioned?