PDA

View Full Version : Geometry Instancing

glfreak
08-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Hello

Is it posible to do geoemtry instancing, rendering multiple objects each with diffrent trans/vertex shader, using the same vertex data?

It's possible under D3D recent update, but I don't know how.

If not possible uner OpenGL 2.0 now, is it possible to be available in future versions?

glfreak
08-10-2005, 06:58 PM
I really need your help experts. Is it exclusive to D3D?

Korval
08-10-2005, 07:20 PM
1: You only waited 2 hours.

2: This is a cross-post from the OpenGL 2x suggestion forum.

3: You clearly don't need the information all that much, because a quick search for "Instancing D3D" would turn up any number of threads discussing the subject. Discussions that would have answered your questions.

glfreak
08-10-2005, 07:30 PM
First if you don't know the answer then don't post usless replies.

Second, I'm not interested to know about D3D I'm here because I appreciate OGL to support such feature.

Brolingstanz
08-10-2005, 10:04 PM
badgering contributors for answers is not considered good form. searching the board before posting your question is a common courtesy to others, so frequently visited topics aren't duplicated ad nauseam.

in summary,
cross-posting and no searching ==> :rolleyes: :(
no cross-posting and searching ==> :cool: :) .

Jan
08-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Now take that advice and search the forum for it. There has been a lengthy discussion about this topic just few months ago and you will find all the answers in there.

Pop N Fresh
08-12-2005, 10:06 AM
OpenGL doesn't have the function call overhead D3D does so you can achieve the same speed without a specific instancing extension.

Take a look at the nvidia whitepaper on pseudo instancing (http://download.nvidia.com/developer/SDK/Individual_Samples/samples.html#glsl_pseudo_instancing)

Although the example uses GLSL, you can do the same thing with ARB_vertex_program.