Dear Santa Claus

Dear Santa Claus

I wished for the Super Buffers this Christmas. And all I got were crappy presents I could buy in shop myself. In my disappointment, I doubt I’ll ever write a letter to you again.

I want my depth replace operations in ATI_fragment_shader …

LOL, I suppose this thread should be in the OpenGl improvements section. How about framebuffer registers addressable in fragment shaders? Then you start to eliminate the fixed function framebuffer ops and write all that stuff in a single fragment program.

The alternative I suppose if yet another buffer fragment program extension with special instructions for ztest etc (yuck). Or maybe it just stays the way it is forever (doubt it).

Not locking the thread dorbie?
Perhaps because it’s started by a half-wit ripe to benefit from your projected wisdom about superbuffers?

QUOTE: “Anyone who proclaims a desire to be a moderator should be excluded from ever being appointed a moderator.”

Obviously this age-old paraphrase meant nothing to the heads of the opengl.org management when addressing forum improvements. It’s certainly ringing true now.
BTW, dorbie, my thread was a christmas joke, which of course you would know by now if it weren’t for your celtic desire to have the last word coming to the fore again. Hence the need to butt into another thread - my apologies to the half-wit.
KLA!
Oh, and goodbye dorbie and all, and good luck with all your future work (not sure if that applies to you dorbie, you’re a talker not a do’er aren’t you?)

<knackered’s very last post on opengl.org>
<knackered closed>

Ah, stop that **** talking about moderators and locking each and every thread !!

Some time ago we didn´t have moderators and everything went well, except for A FEW threads which were off-topic AND ANNOYING !! (yes, i mean C++´s ones)

Now, we do have moderators for those RARE CASES, but now there are few threads left were not at least one of you guys demands that the thread gets be closed!

Moderators are ok, but don´t cry out for them everytime like little children !

I, and certainly most of us, don´t have a problem with most OT threads, as long as they don´t get offensive and silly.

As far as i can see, the moderators do a good job, so don´t tell them always what to do and who to ban, whatever.

Just my 0.5 Euro.

Jan.

This is just your latest personal and viciously attack knackered. It doesn’t take much to set you off and once more your attacks say more about you than me, it’s a shame because I thought you’d made a breakthrough a while back. Sigh.

One of the perils of anyone posting with their real identity online is that there’s always some nut out there who will throw a tantrum and hide behind their anonymous handle.

I’ve been a graphics programmer for years and have done more than you’ll ever know about, I’m not just a talker and take pride in my accomplishments.

I don’t know if this will settle down, but frankly this ain’t worth the aggravation. I may resign from this moderation malarkey. I was asked to do this after being nominated by other frequent contributors (AFAIK) I didn’t push for it although I’ve been pretty frustrated at times by the lack of moderation.

The idea that we can or cannot have light hearted threads and every thread must be held up to the standard of every other is not something I can be bothered worrying about.

Moderators have email addresses you CAN email and offer feedback and even request threads be opened closed moved etc. before venting your spleen all over the boards. Having your joke thread requesting more moderation closed (have you no sense of irony!) is not like killing your first born. And the first week of moderation does not have to be the benchmark for all time if you offer feedback beyond self indulgent twaddle.

Dorbie,

your motto should be
“It’s a tough job, but somebody has to do it.”

Hope that helps.

It does thanks. I’ll bear it in mind.

what’s a moderator ? :-p

Yeah, I wished for HLSL in nvidia drivers but did Jolly Ol Saint Nick deliver? No. Shame.

-SirKnight

i agree with jan when he says that most people don’t mind OT posts. the way i see it, opengl.org is a community for people who are interested in opengl programming, a place where we can help each other out and swap ideas. and who does it harm if somebody asks for help that isn’t strictly opengl related? for example, a while back there was a thread where someone was asking for monitor recommendations. sure, not exactly opengl, but here we have a great body of people with applicable experience – why not ask for some opinions? maybe that person didn’t know where else to turn, or maybe they would rather ask people they know than complete strangers on some other forum. and if you don’t like OT threads, then don’t read them… most people are explicit in the titles, so it’s not like it’s hard to determine which posts are going to be opengl related. and if the thread manages to stay at the top… well then obviously enough people were interested to keep it going. the whole concept of sorting threads based on the last post date is a democracy in-and-of itself. now sure, the system can be abused – say if one person keeps adding more and more to their own thread to send it to the top – and in that case, the moderators should step in. there are other instances where moderation is necessary as well (for example, spam). and moderators can also help by moving threads to a different forum – in the interest of helping the poster by gaining them exposure to an audience more geared towards their topic. but the moderators shouldn’t have to police the threads – their job shouldn’t be “hard work”, it should be to lend a hand when and where they can. they were selected to be moderators because they have knowledge in the realm of opengl, not because they’re trained in law enforcement.

hmm, probably a few too many cents shared :stuck_out_tongue:
-henry

hmm, probably a few too many cents shared :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d say enough to buy a bucket of chicken at KFC.

mmm. Chicken.

-SirKnight

What hardware will superbuffers be available on? Is it just a matter of adjusting drivers, or does it actually require specialized hardware?

If I understand the extension, it would be incredibly useful if I could cache my boned models vertices between different light passes to reduce the transform burden.

What exactly can a superbuffer do?

and why is it called ‘SUPER’-buffer.

Why not ‘yet-another-extra’-buffer,
or maybe ‘Have-not-a-clue’-buffer?

Knackered is dead, long live the Dorbie!

Well said, lost hope!

Originally posted by Hull:
Knackered is dead, long live the Dorbie![/b]

the dark side has won…

or the bright one? depends

So, the veteran a$$h0le-trying-to-be-witty finally got burned out.

I guess his hara-kiri @ opengl.org was also triggered by the Christmas depression.
One sad prick less.

[This message has been edited by 3k0j (edited 12-31-2003).]

Originally posted by 3k0j:
[b]So, the veteran a$$h0le-trying-to-be-witty finally got burned out.

I guess his hara-kiri @ opengl.org was also triggered by the Christmas depression.
One sad prick less.
[/b]

I concur.

-SirKnight

I liked knackered’s posts myself… Shame to see him go…

Damn… you are right.

I miss the whole OT stuff alot.

Its the thing we all like to read, but hate to love.

Knackie was alright, even to the very end…

“Oh OT, OT, my Dorbiedom for an OT.”