Possible to change screen resolution with OpenGL ?

Hello !

I would like to write a cross-platform application that could change the screen resolution. I know directX does, but don’t know about OGL.

Someone knows anything about it ?

I dread to think of what the posts on the beginners forum are like.
Maybe John Carmack can answer your question?

[This message has been edited by knackered (edited 03-19-2002).]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by knackered:
[b]I dread to think of what the posts on the beginners forum are like.
Maybe John Carmack can answer your question?

What am i supposed to understand ?

Originally posted by Tyler Durden:
What am i supposed to understand ?

Nothing. Just your typical answer lately.

No, you cannot use OpenGL to change screen resolution.

You’ll have to resort to OS-dependent functions to do it, or search for someone else’s library to do it for you. I’m sure there are some, perhaps SDL http://www.libsdl.org/libraries.html)..) Or try a search on the very powerful www.google.com.

GLUT and SDL both do this.

I think that GLUT also lets you select refresh rates, whereas SDL limits you to 60hz in full screen.

I use SDL, mainly because of problems with input handling under GLUT (key repeat handling - may have been fixed since I last tried it).

Painterb:
Nothing. Just your typical answer lately

You think this appropriate for the advanced forum?
Tyler, this is your first post, so to some extent you’re not to blame - but does this look like an advanced question? This is the advanced forum, so why ask a question like this here? If you’d read the opengl red book, or most any other literature on opengl then you would have realised that opengl is independent of the operating system it runs on. You obviously haven’t, so you’re a beginner.
I’m not trying to belittle you, believe me. Painterb is happy to answer your question simply because it is not advanced - he’s very quiet on truly advanced topics.

This is indeed not an advanced question and you could have learned this by doing the NeHe Tutorials (hint!).

See my answer here .

The solution is not cross-platform, but <Dirty>X isn’t either.

Originally posted by knackered:
Painterb is happy to answer your question simply because it is not advanced - he’s very quiet on truly advanced topics.

Now, that’s NOT fair… I am not saying your statement is wrong but even if it’s true, that’s not fair…

I sometimes feel like “painterb”: I wonder why we flame people when they “mispost” (does that exist ???). Then, I read another 10 OT topics and I remember why…

Perhaps the fact that “painterb” is fairly new to this board (12 posts… but he may have been here before) is why he accepts that kind of post here.

Anyway, I don’t think we should start to flame each other… Otherwise, this forum will be really dead very quickly…

Regards.

Eric

Not fair, but damned funny!

What exactly is so funny?Flaming other people to get a kick out of it?It is obvious though that your advanced knowledge of opengl doesn’t help you realize that you’re not helping the advanced forum much, as you claim you want to.Take a look at previous posts.Most newbie/OT/etc posts got somewhere between 20 and 50 replies because someone started flaming people.If everyone’s busy with these posts most advanced posts are bound to be ignored.Maybe you are doing this just for the kicks of it.But that’s not funny,rather pathetic.

Oh, the topics back at the top of the list again - well done zen.

Wow, almost missed the way this thread has gone.

You think this appropriate for the advanced forum?

No, of course this is not an advanced question. I definitely do agree that people should be encouraged to post to the appropriate forum for their level. My issue is with the truly ugly way that people are doing the “encouraging”. Like I’ve said, lately (the last 6 months or so) it has turned downright nasty.

Painterb is happy to answer your question simply because it is not advanced

Well, that’s actually not accurate at all. I answer not because it’s not advanced, but rather because most the other answers will be rude, useless, and/or a waste of time. This place should be a friendlier one so I will now go out of my way to help that.

he’s very quiet on truly advanced topics

'Tis true, but I never claimed to be an expert on any or all of OpenGL. I develop engineering applications, not games or visual simulations, etc. At the moment I have no need (or time) to learn about multitexturing, shadow volumes, motion-blur, etc. So, while I definitely could write replies to these types of topics, I don’t think anyone would want me too!

(From zen, referring to others, not me)
It is obvious though that your advanced knowledge of opengl doesn’t help you realize that you’re not helping the advanced forum much

This statement is 100% true. The nonstop flaming hurts the board more than anything.

Do you guys think it would help to have an “Intermediate” forum? Perhaps it would draw the beginner questions there, instead of into the Advanced forum. But then of course there would be 3 forums to read and flame people on.

[This message has been edited by painterb (edited 03-21-2002).]

[This message has been edited by painterb (edited 03-21-2002).]

I do not consider myself advanced user of OpenGL by any measure (I am only just trying to master the concepts) but the reason I rarely post on the beginners forum anymore is that it seems to me most of the people who “know the stuff” do not care for beginner forum. For instance my very first question on this bboard was posted on the beginners forum but remained unanswered, so I decided to post on the advanced forum and guess what I got nice answers - and quick too …

Nickels is right this bboard is getting elitist. I’m starting to see his point; perhaps the two fora (beginner and advanced) should be merged.

Even Einstein - in his life time - took time to reply letters from elementary school kids who wrote to ask him about trig etc … If would be nice if some of you followed his example …

[This message has been edited by Olumide (edited 03-21-2002).]

I just think people wants the board like it was before.The quality of post surely went done by a huge notch.

I remember a few months ago, we would get post on very cool topics like PPL, a few though questions about hardware that Matt would nicely explain. It was great, I learned a lot of stuff.

And there only a few OT or simple, 5 min seach on the web question. I actually do not mind posts that ask for graphic question that are not directly related to opengl, but that are advanced subject like skinning, IK, stuff like that.

This is now seems to be inverted. it looks like there are more useless than usefull one.

I think the reason is that this graphic programming has reach critical mass, and by that I mean that a lot of people suddenly got interest in ogl and graphic programming because of easy access(which is great) to the tools.

Of course when that happens you get people that thinks they are God like programmers when they are actually simply a bunch of lazy persons and so you have stupid posts in the wrong forum.

I think the best solution will be to have a few moderators, because you won’t be able to change the behavior of those people.

Originally posted by Olumide:[b]
Even Einstein - in his life time - took time to reply letters from elementary school kids who wrote to ask him about trig etc … If would be nice if some of you followed his example …

[This message has been edited by Olumide (edited 03-21-2002).][/b]

Some people do. I actually already answered question that people sent me by email, also some people browse the beginner and advanced forum and reply.

The reason there are 2 separate boards is not so that “advanced people” can feel like they are better than anyone else, it is simply a logical repartition of the posts so that you find the information you need more easily.

Sometimes, when people answer questions, they have to make an effort and try some stuff. Obviously, if you rendered your first triangle 5 years ago, you do not want to answer questions about that anymore,but people that are beginning will be much more likely to help on such topics.

Hey richardve,

what happened to friendly hug mode?

V-man