Seriously, is it worth it?

Is it worth it to sell my standard model library for $25? If it’s not, then what will make it worth it?

I’m seriously contimplating registering a trademark for my model library name, but this can cost up to or more than $2000.

I will be updating my model library as technology advances, but only the professional version will be updated…the standard edition will still only be one level texture and animated meshes, whereas the profesional version will be upgraded constantly to support new model file formats, skeletal animation, weigted vertices and anything new that comes out.

You’re looking at about $150 plus for the proffesional version, and I’m sure the price will rise as the library is tweaked to utter perfection and speed.

So I ask you, is it worth it?

The reason I ask now is because my trademark search came back positive. I can register it now if I want to.

The real question is rather:

Do we really want it?

There is alot of model libraries out there, and most of them are uniquely adapted to a further developement, resulting in a game being sold on the market.

What you must ask yourself is this:

Does anybody really want my product?

Do a poll, or release a freeware test version to independent developers for feedback.

It might be better to discontinue work on a product that wont be good enough for the market.

You might be better off implementing your library from now on and make your own game with it instead.

On the other hand, continuing work on the library may result in an outstanding product that most developers can’t afford to do without.

Do you have some sort of documentation or a website for the product?

I have asked myself that question “Does anybody really need it, or want it?”.

I’m shooting off into the distance. I feel that at first it will be a bad investment, 'cause frankly nobody is going to know about it.

I’m aware that there are free model libraries out there already, that I haven’t even really looked at to see how well they’re made :/. Then I ask myself these question
“does their library do more than mine?”
“Are they gonna keep improving it like I want to improve mine?”
“If they don’t make money for making a model library, won’t they get discouraged and stop updating it?”

I’m trying to look beyond what people want right now, but rather look at what people want in the future. If I make my library the best that it can be, and the easiest to understand, then I think I have a shot.

I’ve decided I’m going for this. My goal is to make a library that people will feel comfortable using, and I’m confident that they will. People don’t get anywhere if they don’t take chances, so it’s my turn to step up and take that chance.

Now I’m going to ask everyone in here; do you want or need a model library that you don’t ever have to worry about getting outdated?

All I ask for is support. If you help me, I can help you. That’s the way this world works.

Thanks

I do have a website, but the name of the website is the name I want to trademark. I don’t know how the law works when it comes to advertising a logo/name before it’s trademarked.

If you could point me to some information that states that I’m safe with my logo/name, then I’d gladly point you to my web page.

I’d rather like a book about what and how you did the stuff. I want the knowledge, not the implementation. I like to spend my money on books.

Me too . In fact, I’m going to be ordering the bluebook sometime soon.

I realize that every programmer is creative, and is driven to learn everything and do everything themselves. I was like that once, but I started to recognize that it isn’t always best to do everything on your own.

Way back when, I was trying to make a 3D engine. I was still programming in DOS and I didn’t even want to start programming in Windows. I saw OpenGL and I told myself that I wanted to know how to make a 3D engine before I use one. There was one problem though. The guys who made OpenGL have been doing 3D for a long time, and there was no way I could learn fast enough to start making my 3D games, so I gave in and started learning OpenGL. I’m glad I did because it taught me to use whatever resources I could in my games instead of developing them all on my own.

To be honest, I believe you would be best off (and the lib would have the most sucess) if you offered it (with source) for $25 or so, but not try to make it a buisness. Don’t bother with a trademark unless you KNOW you have a market. (Just my $0.02)

Hmmm, I think you’re right; I should include the source code with it huh? How can I protect the source code? Copyrights? Anybody want to help me make an EULA?

man dude…
your way to paranoid
heh

Originally posted by WhatEver:
Hmmm, I think you’re right; I should include the source code with it huh? How can I protect the source code? Copyrights? Anybody want to help me make an EULA?

You probably aren’t going to like this, but…

Free Software is the way. Yes, I’m one of those kinds of guys. The GPL is the best way of protecting your work on all kinds of levels (from the practical to the moral).

Well, I’m sure this will touch off a massive flame war, but, so be it.

Originally posted by rts:
[b]Free Software is the way. Yes, I’m one of those kinds of guys. The GPL is the best way of protecting your work on all kinds of levels (from the practical to the moral).

Well, I’m sure this will touch off a massive flame war, but, so be it. [/b]

Your right, it will start a flame war. The guy wants to make some money and protect his investment. You are saying the way to do this is to give it away free? Where exactly is the money in that? The only companies I know of that make money from free products do it though technical support and merchandising. Somehow, I dont think these apply to his situation.

Sometimes, I think I could go off for days about the “free software movement”…lets stop while I’m still calm.

Originally posted by LordKronos:
You are saying the way to do this is to give it away free?

You may want to read confusing words first. I didn’t say “give it away free”… I said “put it under the GPL”. There’s a difference.

I don’t think that free software applies well to a world where having the computer switched on costs money for power… where one has to buy food, houses, cars.

It would be the greatest world when everybody would do it all for free…
but! there are currently many free projects twice, and therefor there are other jobs not filled. Who would bring away the dirt for you when he could be programming on something?

yeah, gnu… I don’t like gnu from its idea because people are bad.
Ever heard about illegal software?

Originally posted by Michael Steinberg:
I don’t think that free software applies well to a world where having the computer switched on costs money for power… where one has to buy food, houses, cars.

Again you are confusing “free” as in “gratis” with “free” as in “libre”.

GNU Free Software is about “free” as in “libre”, not “free” as in gratis.

It’s unfortunate that English didn’t inherit different words for free-as-in-speech and free-as-in-beer like Spanish, French, Italian, Latin, etc.

yeah, gnu… I don’t like gnu from its idea because people are bad.
Ever heard about illegal software?

I have no idea what you’re trying to say here. Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

If every hobby programmer gets the software for free, how to verify professional programmers don’t use it ilegally?

If every hobby programmer gets the software for free, how to verify professional programmers don’t use it ilegally?

I still don’t understand. “getting stuff for free” is not the goal of Free Software. Think free-as-in-speech, not free-as-in-beer. I think I read on another thread that your mother tongue is German… in which case you should think of “freie Software” and not “kostenlos Software”.

There is no such thing as “using free software illegally”… I think you’re worried about “piracy”. It’s impossible, by definition, to “pirate” Free software (how I loath that word).

Hope this helps.

Well, I think the idea of the GNU license, is that everybody can use the software under license, as long as he gives credits and doesn’t use it commercially. Wasn’t it like that?