PDA

View Full Version : Register Combiners, greater than 4 Texuture Units in NV30

sek
08-06-2003, 10:22 AM
I am currently using nvparse and register combiners with four texture
units in my openGL code running on a GeForce3 card (in Windows XP
MSVC++ 6.0 environment). I want to use more than four texture units
and know that I must upgrade to a GeForce FX card and that is fine.
However, it is not clear to me if I can keep the same code structure or
if I have to learn how to use Cg (I would rather not at the start, I
just want to get my current program working with some minor
modifications). Here is the code structure I am using now:

nvparse("!!RC1.0 \n"
"{ \n"
" rgb \n"
" { \n"
" discard = tex0; \n"
" discard = tex1; \n"
" spare0 = sum(); \n"
" } \n"
"} \n"
"{ \n"
" rgb \n"
" { \n"
" discard = tex2; \n"
" discard = tex3; \n"
" spare1 = sum(); \n"
" } \n"
"} \n"
"{ \n"
" rgb \n"
" { \n"
" discard = spare0; \n"
" discard = spare1; \n"
" spare0 = sum(); \n"
" } \n"
"} \n"
"out.rgb = spare0.rgb; \n"
"out.a = unsigned_invert(zero); \n");

for (errors = nvparse_get_errors(); *errors; errors++)
{ fprintf(stderr, *errors);
cout<<endl;
}

glEnable(GL_REGISTER_COMBINERS_NV);

nvparse("!!TS1.0\n"
"texture_2d(); \n"
"texture_2d(); \n"
"texture_2d(); \n"
"texture_2d(); \n");
glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_SHADER_NV);

glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE0_ARB);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, iOutputTextureID_0);

glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE1_ARB);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, iOutputTextureID_1);

glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE2_ARB);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, iOutputTextureID_2);

glActiveTextureARB(GL_TEXTURE3_ARB);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, iOutputTextureID_3);

RenderQuad(PASS_DISPLAY); // calls the function that does glBegin()
etc.

I fully realize my register combiner code isn't doing anything
interesting. Can I do the same thing but with 12 textures on my
GeForce FX5900 without getting into Cg? My application is a scientific
simulation so I am not really a graphics guy - sorry. I am
experimenting to see if my GPU runs the simulation faster than the CPU
(just very boring number crunching).

One final point: In addition to using more than one texture, I want to use what I think is called swizzling. I have used this with position coordinates in a vertex program (ADD R6.xyzw, R2.yzxw, -R3.yzxw;)
and I would like to do the analogous thing with colors in a register combiner. For example,

"{ \n"
" rgb \n"
" { \n"
" spare0.rgb = tex2.gbr; \n"
" spare1.rgb = tex3.rgg; \n"
" spare0 = sum(); \n"
" } \n"
"} \n"

Any guidance (or outright hand holding) would be greatly appreciated!

Sean.

MalcolmB
08-06-2003, 10:30 AM
I think you need to use the ARB_fragment_program extension instead of register combiners to use more texture units.

jra101
08-06-2003, 10:34 AM
As I stated in my reply to this message on comp.graphics.api.opengl, you need to use fragment programs (either ARB_fragment_program or NV_fragment_program) to access more than four textures on a GeForceFX.

davepermen
08-06-2003, 10:34 AM
as far as i remember, the register combiners haven't changed at all on the gfFX, meaning they behave just as if it would be a gf3/gf4.. so 4 units only, too..

actually, except the ARB_fragment_program, i think there are no differences between a gfFX in capabilities over the gf4, except for the additional NV_extensions.

is it true that there are only 4 available textures in gl if you use standard multitexturing or rc's on a gfFX? i remember i've read that somewhere, but i'm unsure now..

roffe
08-06-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by davepermen:
is it true that there are only 4 available textures in gl if you use standard multitexturing or rc's on a gfFX? i remember i've read that somewhere, but i'm unsure now..
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/009119.html

sek
08-06-2003, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the link which helps on some points, but I am still confused...

For the NV20 architecture it took me forever to figure out the relationship between !!VP1.0, !!TS1.0, and !!RC1.0, how many texture units I had in my texture shader, how many general combiners I had in the register combiners and how I needed to use nvparse, glLoadProgramNV, and/or a whole bunch of ugly gl calls to make it all work. The writing of the script or assembly code was trivial; it was seeing the forest from the trees that almost killed me.

- Has the overall situation changed for me with the NV30 card?

- OK so it seems that I'll get 16 texture units by using ARB_fragment_program. What about the number of general combiners? Or is this no longer a relevant question since I must us a fragment program?

- I guess since I'll be writing assemly code for the fragement program, I'll just bind and glLoadProgramNV like I have done with vertex programs right?

- Will I be able to swizzle color components?

- Can anyone point me to a nice fragment program doc that provides analogous information to the old nvidia vertex program and register combiner presentations?

Thanks again very much for your help and patience!

jra101
08-06-2003, 12:09 PM
OK so it seems that I'll get 16 texture units by using ARB_fragment_program. What about the number of general combiners? Or is this no longer a relevant question since I must us a fragment program?

There is no such thing as a combiner when using ARB_fragment_program or NV_fragment_program. The amount of stuff you can do is only limited by the number of instructions allowed by a given piece of hardware. You can query the number of instructions for an ARB_fragment_program implementation by calling glGetProgramivARB with the pname parameter set to MAX_PROGRAM_INSTRUCTIONS_ARB.

I guess since I'll be writing assemly code for the fragement program, I'll just bind and glLoadProgramNV like I have done with vertex programs right?
Yes, you would use glLoadProgramNV with the GL_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM_NV target if you were using the NV_fragment_program extension. If you use the ARB_fragment_program extension, you should use glLoadProgramARB and GL_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM_ARB.

Will I be able to swizzle color components?
Yes, you can do whatever swizzling you want with fragment programs.

Korval
08-06-2003, 12:24 PM
There is no such thing as a combiner when using ARB_fragment_program or NV_fragment_program.

That's not quite the case.

GeForceFX hardware still retains the RC hardware, post-*_fragment_program (or, put conceptually, *_fragment_program replaces NV_texture_shader_*, but not RC's). You can still use RC's after the fragment program. However, they retain their limitations in terms of precision, #texture units, and so forth. The NV_fragment_program spec explains how to use RC's with fp's.