GLX_NV_float_buffer

has anyone got this working?
perhaps i should just wait for the spec (but i am curious + have a few uses for it)
also since its in the extension string, does that mean its in hardware on my gf2mx (i dont think thats possible right)

The WGL version of this extension spec should be published on NVIDIA’s developer relations site (developer.nvidia.com). I would expect that the GLX version should be similar.

The NV_float_buffer extension allows for pbuffers and textures that hold floating-point data (instead of the “normal” clamped [0,1] fixed-point). NV_float_buffer will be supported on the GeForce FX (NV30), but will not be on previous devices (except via emulation).

is it(spec) meant to be here http://developer.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=nvidia_opengl_specs
i dont see it, is there a special spec place at nvidia developer site i havent found yet?

I think you’ll find it’s in the nv30specs.pdf on that page, IIRC.

-Mezz

BTW, will history repeat itself, so that we will have NV_float_buffer & ATI_float_buffer code split for next few years ?

Originally posted by MZ:

BTW, will history repeat itself, so that we will have NV_float_buffer & ATI_float_buffer code split for next few years ?

nope, i think ARB_fb is underway yet… but never forget, ALWAYS use NV_fb, because its… more standard than the ARB version…

That was my first thought too MZ . I think ATI has shown that they prefer standards, so I’m not too worried. NVIDIA also supports standards when they are available. Personally, I think we’ll see some of those GL2 extensions soon ( flexible array objects and flexible “render targets” ).

Oh and we really need a high level shading language soon. We have Cg ( which is fine ) but I want something that’s supported by the other vendors too. I know Cg will work on ATI and 3Dlabs hardware but it needs to be something that multiple vendors are involved in.

[This message has been edited by PH (edited 12-23-2002).]

Personally, I think we’ll see some of those GL2 extensions soon

This would be absolutely best option, so I have feeling we won’t see it.

One little GL2_object_buffer extension would alone solve so many problems:

• WGL/GLX_NV/ATI_float_buffer
  • WGL/GLX_pbuffer
  • WGL/GLX_render_texture
  • WGL/GLX_NV/ATI(?)_render_texture_rectangle
  • and finally: render-to-texture matching DX8 power (which, as I described in past thread, is going to be really needed when using float buffers)

The only thing i found bad in GL2 proposal regarding buffer-objects was unprecedenced in GL usage of structs to for describing pixel-format (which, on the other hand, matches DX5/6/7/8 weakness)

i’ve read ati is currently working on a glslang implementation for the radeon9700. dunno how far they are, but possibly its in the full release of render monkey… would be sweet…

and yes, i want to get rid of render texture crap as it is now. till there is no real nice way, i’ll bether play with dx9… sooooooo easy

Originally posted by davepermen:
i’ll bether play with dx9… sooooooo easy

Don’t curse please.

Well it hasn’t made it into the latest version of the NVIDIA OpenGL extensions documentation (3rd January 2003).

Which is rather annoying…

Anybody @ NVIDIA care to enlighten us poor Linux users how one might create a floating-point pbuffer?

TIA!