Help:Blender -> OpenGL

Anybody know how to convert my Blender files into OpenGL code? I’ve tried Blender -> VRML->3D Explorer->OpenGL. That appears to work some of the time. Where do I turn for the basics? Sorry if this is a beginner question, but nobody in Beginners tier seemed to answer.

Thanks

hi, i have also been working with blender files for my opengl programs. may i ask where you found your information on blenders file format? i havent been able to find any solid sources yet.

Originally posted by Warrior:
hi, i have also been working with blender files for my opengl programs. may i ask where you found your information on blenders file format? i havent been able to find any solid sources yet.

Me neither. The best I’ve come up with is Appendix B of the Blender Book (Linux Journal Press) which touches briefly (and I mean briefly) on Videoscape, DXF VRML formats.

I think you’re supposed to create a Python script to export the data into whatever format you want. I don’t believe they’ve released the specs for their own format.

You can always check their website - there’s a forum there.

IainR

This is why I gave up using blender for my programs

Tim, what are you using currently? Is the price as good as Blender’s?

I got an older version of TrueSpace that was free on a cover disc but I don’t like it much. The one slight problem is that the interface is a little wierd a bit like blenders but I can never get anything to work and I have dificulties with its texturing and texture managment. I haven’t actually used it in several months. My main use for a modeler is to create some level data, this I have had many problems with and I havn’t yet found a good editor that has a usable export. Currently I am using the Unreal editor but I have also used the half-life editor worldcraft, both are OK but neither provide a decent solution. I have made some good models with MilkShape, it is easy to use but not really powerful enough and a few strange things will happen time to time forcing you to start again (this also happens with the unreall editor a lot). MilkShake is good thought but isn’t free, I think it is about $20 but he doesn’t except credit cards so I have no real way of paying and being british changeing £ to $ is a little pricey. Besides I don’t have that much use yet for a pure modeler and a new version is relased every 6 weeks or something so you usualy can have free use.

I would be interested in any modeler or content creation tool that is free and especialy those that have good content creation, are stable and faily powerful and easy to use- it is possible I think.

I am making my own level editor in MFC with OpenGL but work is very slow. IT should be a lot quicker soon once I have done a major overhaul becuase then ther is alot of things that are simple maths based function such as roating a brush etc. The next big hurdle will be CSG operations I think.

Tim

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I used TrueSpace v2 for a while. Not bad at all, but it doesn’t seem to give you much control over uv coordinates. Still, managed to create some models & load them up in my program.

Currently evaluating Blender to see if it’s usable for what I want. If nothing else, then it’s good for creating animations and stills.

Iain

I’ve started playing around with strata 3D. Its free (my favourite price :]) at http://www.3d.com. Mind you, I’ve had to do the strata -> VRML->3D Explorer->OpenGL thing as well.
Joe