Cubemapping, what am i doing wrong?

What am i doing wrong or what could be interfering with this code?
The result of this code is that i see absolutely nothing textured.

on startup :

CUBE_MAPPING_EXTENSION_ENABLE = 1;
	char *ext = (char*)glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS);
	if( strstr(ext, "EXT_texture_cube_map") == NULL ){
		CUBE_MAPPING_EXTENSION_ENABLE = 0;
		return;
	}
	glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_S);
	glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_T);
	glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_GEN_R);

When drawing:

if (!CUBE_MAPPING_EXTENSION_ENABLE) return;

glDisable( GL_TEXTURE_2D );
	glEnable( GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_EXT );

if (!cubemap->ID){
		glGenTextures(1, &cubemap->ID);
		//ERRORLOG->Add("creating cubemap");
		glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB, cubemap->ID);

// create the cubemap.
		if (cubemap->RIGHT)
			glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X_EXT, 0, GL_RGBA, cubemap->RIGHT->WIDTH, cubemap->RIGHT->HEIGHT, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, cubemap->RIGHT->TEXTURE );
		if (cubemap->LEFT)
			glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_X_EXT, 0, GL_RGBA, cubemap->LEFT->WIDTH, cubemap->LEFT->HEIGHT, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, cubemap->LEFT->TEXTURE );
		if (cubemap->FRONT)
			glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Y_EXT, 0, GL_RGBA, cubemap->FRONT->WIDTH, cubemap->FRONT->HEIGHT, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, cubemap->FRONT->TEXTURE );
		if (cubemap->BACK)
			glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_Y_EXT, 0, GL_RGBA, cubemap->BACK->WIDTH, cubemap->BACK->HEIGHT, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, cubemap->BACK->TEXTURE );
		if (cubemap->TOP)
			glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_Z_EXT, 0, GL_RGBA, cubemap->TOP->WIDTH, cubemap->TOP->HEIGHT, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, cubemap->TOP->TEXTURE );
		if (cubemap->BOTTOM)
			glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_NEGATIVE_Z_EXT, 0, GL_RGBA, cubemap->BOTTOM->WIDTH, cubemap->BOTTOM->HEIGHT, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, cubemap->BOTTOM->TEXTURE );
	} else  {
		//ERRORLOG->Add("binding cubemap");
		glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_ARB, cubemap->ID);
	}

Have you tried using glGetError(…) ?

You seem to be confusing the EXT cubemap-extension with the ARB one. You should probably use the latter.

Also, instead of all the

if( cubemap->right )
  • etc., add assertions in the beginning, ie.
#include <assert.h>
assert( cubemap->right );
assert( cubemap->left );
			glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP_POSITIVE_X_EXT, 0, GL_RGBA, cubemap->RIGHT->WIDTH, cubemap->RIGHT->HEIGHT, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, cubemap->RIGHT->TEXTURE );
glGetError(..);

At least then you know if you actually upload something. Have you checked that all the parameters for glTexImage2D are valid?

Hope this helps,
\hornet

I didn’t know there were two types of cubemaps.
I got what i did from this document which apparently is wrong :
http://webster.fhs-hagenberg.ac.at/staff/haller/cg_20032004/05-Cg%20OpenGL%202.pdf

Anyways, i replaced all EXT’s with ARB’s and the other way around but it still doesn’t do anything. The 3D-model stays plain white.

Do i have to do something to scale the cube of the cubemap or to position it?

Did you set min/mag filters for the cubemap?

Ah, well now i see something, but it still looks crappy…

This character should be mapped with the NESW image below it mapped on it from all sides :
http://www.gunfight.net/img/misc/problem_03.jpg

Looks like you should compute (averaged) per vertex normals, instead of per face. You probably also need to set glShadeModel( GL_SMOOTH ) - and not GL_FLAT… in case you didn’t already :slight_smile:

\hornet

Easyer sayed than done.
Since it is a deformable shape, i need to recalculate these normals per frame.
I stored my vertexes in the polygons so i had to rewrite a big chunk of my engine.
Anyways, here’s the result:
http://www.gunfight.net/img/misc/problem_04.jpg

How does it look to you? I think it looks very well, especially when it is moving. It has something metalic about it, which is exactly what i wanted.

I come back to read your replies but thanks already for your help.

ARB and EXT both define the same value. Using one or antoher won’t change anything. You can even use GL_TEXTURE_CUBE_MAP alone if you have recent headers.

SeskaPeel