OT (sorry) - GeForce 4 Grace demo

To anyone that has a geforce 4 and has tried the Grace demo. Is this demo supposed to run slow? I just got my GeForce 4 Ti 4400 and when i run the demo it runs kinda slow. It looks like about 10fps or so. Its a bit choppy. Everything else seems ok (as far as my games go, i havnt tried the other gf4 demos). Maybe its because of my CPU which is a p3 600? Im running the drivers that come with the card, ver 27.42. This is kinda dissapointing.

-SirKnight

I never will understand why people get a new gfx card, when their CPU is the limiting factor…unless of course you are updating from a pre GF2 card.

I totally agree with Elixer.

Even my old GeForce2 MX was 2 or 3 times faster on a P!!! 933 than with a P!!! 500…

You guys are just jealous

I never will understand why people get a new gfx card, when their CPU is the limiting factor…

For development, perhaps? Maybe GF4 is a bad example in this case, but you get the point. Speed is not everything.

JackM

[This message has been edited by JackM (edited 03-16-2002).]

JackM is right. When I bought my GeForce3, I was still using a Celeron 300

– Tom

SirKnight, I’ve just ordered my TI 4600, should be here early this week, I’ll see what kind of performance I get on that grace demo.

Maybe it’s a driver thang?! Which ones you using?

Did you have FSAA wacked right up too? What res and stuff did you run in?

Nutty

Good choice SirKnight. I’m still using a GeForce3 with a P3 500 mhz which has been just fine.

I would get a GF4, but…

• Costs too much.
  • Speed isn’t that much greater than my 8500 (30% at most).
  • STILL doesn’t have flexible dependent read support.
  • Fragment shading support is still limited by the procedural macro interface.

Of corse that’s just my opinion

[This message has been edited by NitroGL (edited 03-16-2002).]

Im using dirvers version 27.42 (they came with the card) and these are Detinator XP drivers not some special PNY drivers. Lets see… I was using the Quinuix or whatever AA but even if i turned it off its still a little choppy. Im thinking its my cpu b/c this demo does a lot of things that need a fast cpu, like the cloth modeling, and all ther other physics things its doing plus all of the animation Grace is doing. Its not real slow, its just a steup under being smooth.

I mostly got the GeForce 4 for dev purposes, i was using a GeForce 256 DDR 32mb and i wanted my vertex programs and all of that progrmmable stuff to run on hardware. Now i can do texture shaders! Before they just ran too slow in software for me to even bother with. But, it did help my games out alot. I can run in FSAA in my games like q3, medal of honor, OFP, etc and still run silky smooth (and at 1024x768x32). Couldnt do that on my GeForce 256.

-SirKnight

Oh ya, i also was running in 1024x768x32. I tried it was 800x600x32 but it looked the same.

-SirKnight

well I have an Athlon 1.1ghz, so we’ll see if that makes for better performance. I too think it’s probably the physics requiring a fast cpu.

Nutty

Thats what i have been thinking now. Hopefully in a couple months ill upgrade my cpu to a XP AMD chip or something. Also something else has me puzzled. With this card, any time i try to run a demo that uses ‘rt patches’ whatever in the hell that is, it says my hardware does not support it. Maybe this is an ATI thing? I dunno.

-SirKnight

Originally posted by SirKnight:
[b]Thats what i have been thinking now. Hopefully in a couple months ill upgrade my cpu to a XP AMD chip or something. Also something else has me puzzled. With this card, any time i try to run a demo that uses ‘rt patches’ whatever in the hell that is, it says my hardware does not support it. Maybe this is an ATI thing? I dunno.

-SirKnight[/b]

That’s because it’s no longer supported in D3D.

It’s still in OpenGL though.

I use a Geforce 256 DDR …

A few weeks ago I got a Geforce 2 MX - it was ****. SDR memory basiacally makes or breaks the card. That and CPU power. I now don’t use SDR vid cards because they suck.

Don’t compare a proper vid card with a cheap version. Try A geForce 3 and then compare your results. The difference is amazing,

That’s because it’s no longer supported in D3D.

It’s still in OpenGL though.

Ah, that explains it. Come to think of it, the demos i tried were d3d demos.

-SirKnight

Roughly half the time spent in grace is spent performing the cloth, ponytail and fluid simulations, which are all really cpu intensive. My development machine was a P3-600, and it was butt-slow there as well. Fortunately, our demo machines were Athlon 2000xp’s, and on there she runs fine.

joe
(nvidia demo guy that worked on grace)

Roughly half the time spent in grace is spent performing the cloth, ponytail and fluid simulations, which are all really cpu intensive. My development machine was a P3-600, and it was butt-slow there as well. Fortunately, our demo machines were Athlon 2000xp’s, and on there she runs fine.
joe
(nvidia demo guy that worked on grace)

Ok good then its not just me. The next day after i posted this (which was posted at night) i thought, you know, i bet its slow cuz of my cpu which cant handle all of that cloth and fluid stuff. At first it kinda scared me that my gf4 wasnt what it was supposed to be. But i thought, bah thats nonsense.

Well thanks chameleon for replying to this. Its always nice to have the actual creator of this awesome demo to confirm our thoughts on why it was slow for me.

-SirKnight

[This message has been edited by SirKnight (edited 03-18-2002).]