how can i make an program that suport stereo with opengl

i have the same questions . i want to make a simple
program that suport stereo with opengl.but when i
run my program,it display that;
i have make an simple opengl program and use the left and right buffer but it display that;
“GLUT: Fatal Error in pulsar: visual with necessary capabilities not found.”
my system was windows me .video card was GF4;
i can play some opengl game such as cs;
can you help me
thanks,
ws

You are trying to do stereo the “professional” way, by asking for a quad-buffered display mode (capability flag GL_STEREO). This is not supported on consumer level graphics cards. It is mostly a question of driver support. Nvidia drivers have stereo support only for the Quadro line of accelerators.

If you want quad-buffered stereo, you need to buy a high-end 3D card, or find a driver from some third party developer to support stereo in OpenGL for your card. You can have a look at the Xi Graphics drivers for ATI under Linux, and SciTech’s drivers for Windows. Both have proper stereo support. Both cost money.

The stereo modes available on e.g. ASUS consumer level Nvidia boards are somewhat of a hack, but they are still fairly useful if you want to have a look into that. Good if you are on a tight budget.

You can even make stereo rendering work without an ASUS card. Most NVidia cards have an output bit in the VGA connector that flips between 0 and 1 for each frame sync. There are stereo goggles with VGA adapters that make use of that bit. I have no details on this, but I’ve seen it work at a trade show.

I’m sorry I cannot really provide more details on this, but I hope this at least helped somewhat. Good luck!

>>>Most NVidia cards have an output bit in the VGA connector that flips between 0 and 1 for each frame sync. <<<

That’s nice to know. Some of those pins are not used I guess and they decided to add this feature.

Here is one site that explains how to convert your regular card to a Quadro.
http://www.geocities.com/tnaw_xtennis/G-Quadro/nVidia-ID.htm

V-man