View Full Version : VBO trouble

04-22-2003, 01:50 AM
Yeah... I'm trying to get it work, but for some reason the line

causes the program to exit with an error message. I've checked that I'm not getting a null address from wglGetProcAddress, so that can't be it. I'm running on win95 with the 43.45 drivers, and my graphics card is a geforce2 MX 400.

I think I might have defined the types GLsizeiptrARB and GLintptrARB wrong. I'm using Delphi and can't find the bindings anywhere. I've tried longInt and cardinal, but neither seems to work.

Tom Nuydens
04-22-2003, 02:18 AM
I declared both as Integer -- come to think of it, that's actually wrong for GLsizeiptr, which should be Cardinal (unsigned). It still works, though. You could try my headers at www.delphi3d.net/dot (http://www.delphi3d.net/dot) if you're not confident about your own.

-- Tom

04-22-2003, 02:30 AM
Thanks, Tom! It works now, altough I must admit that the real problem was that my context wasn't active... So stupid, but it's good you helped me get those types straight too.

04-25-2003, 06:58 AM
I have drop perfomance if ELEMENT_ARRAY placed in STATIC_DRAW buffer on nVidia GeforceFX 5800 Ultra, det. 43.51
I think index process by driver by copying from video to system.

If i place index data to system memory, it works perfectly.

It's bug or feature? http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/smile.gif

04-25-2003, 08:17 AM
I'm guessing the driver has to parse the indices in order to find the min/max index counts. If the index buffer is in video memory, it has to read back from video memory, which is awfully slow.

I never tried, but maybe a function like glDrawRangeElements, to which you already give the min/max index counts, wouldn't need to do that, hence performance increase, and not drop. Has anybody tested that?

04-25-2003, 08:39 AM
I don't know offhand why it would be slower. Are you keeping your element array in a separate buffer object?

04-27-2003, 08:05 PM
Yes, i keep element array in separate buffer.

Even if i draw whole buffer or use glDrawRangeElements it's very slow.

I think GPU have granular DMA and don't need to compute min/max. Just read with stride if it needed.