Linux OGL occassional flicker...

I’m running Open Scene Graph on Linux, and occassionally I will see a very distracting flicker - almost as if the commands:

glClear()
glutSwapBuffers()
glutSwapBuffers()

are being inserted into my code… (sync to vblank turned off)
that is, the “correct” image is being very briefly interrupted with something else…

I get a similar behavior in other OGL apps (even very simple ones), but I don’t for sure that it is the same problem. The “simple” apps may do nothing more than display a single texture (on a screen-aligned quad) and do nothing else at all (no swap buffers, etc).

I have stripped my window system down to the bare minimum (no window manager running, just an xterm to keep the Xserver alive), disabled screen blanking with “xset s off”, etc, etc…)

Redhat 8.0, GeForce FX-5950 Ultra, 2.4.21 kernel, latest nVidia drivers…

Any help greatly appreciated.

-Steve

I had the same (very severe) problem with the FX 5900 under windows and linux. The windows drivers >=52.xx solved the problem for windows (a known issue by then). At the time 52.xx came out for windows the most recent Linux driver didn’t solve the issue at the time. If there is no 52.xx driver for Linux yet, you might have to wait until then…

Yup. I’m seeing this on my Linux box as well with the 5900 running on 4496 drivers.

I have the same problem with an FX Go 5600, but I don’t need any OpenGL application to run to reproduce this, just a running X is enough. This obviously has something to do with the driver, I guess we just have to wait for the next driver release…

I’ll ditto Overmind. It flickers when the Fluxbox is rendering transparent menus.

Thanks for the input, guys…

I guess I will just have to wait – any hope of getting a new linux driver anytime soon?

-Steve

Hi.
What kind of monitors do you have… My cousen has tft-monitor and when it’s plugged in digital connector image occasionally flickers in linux, but when using adapter to convert from crt connector it doesn’t flicker.
Maybe different problem, but saying it anyway.

My machine is a laptop, which of course has got a TFT monitor connected to digital out. But now that you mention it, a week ago I had a presentation using a videobeamer connected to crt out, and I didn’t notice a flicker there…