Fbo and stencil?

Hi,
I have tryed with last stable driver (nvidia quadro fx3400) to render a scene to an FBO texture using stencil buffer to mask some parts of the scene,then render the texture on a quad. It works fine if I deactivate stencil masking, but there is a problem when there is stencil masking ( no more image …) . It works previously fine with a pbuffer but no way to do this with FBO. Has anyone succeeded using stencil in conjonction with FBO ? any idee?

Searched the forum?
Currently unsupported. ARB is working on an extension to do depth_stencil.

I have searched the forum! But I was thinking the depth_stencil is an extension to draw a stencil map in a texture ?and I wants to render a scene using stencil mask and draw the scene in a texture to be redraw after . I am confused with these two things.

No, the problem is that current graphic cards don’t support seperate depth and stencil. The depth_stencil extension allows you to specify a combined depth_stencil format. This applies to both textures and renderbuffers…

That means if you want to render to a depth texture and need stencil, you have to render to a depth-stencil texture, if you don’t need the depth texture, you can use a depth-stencil renderbuffer.

So, in conclusion, FBO should works with actual driver with stencil masking ? ( meaning not using depth stencil buffer … I don’t use depth test, only stencil test)

As said, no, it’s currently unsupported.

hope coming soon!! because making FBO useless for me!

Shouldn’t take too long on NVIDIA according to this thread: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/cgi_directory/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=013819

I am trying to use FBO … I have always the same problem… I will render a scene to a texture then redraw after the texture… It works fine with FBO if I don’t use stencil in my scene … .but for example I use stencil to draw only a circle part of a texture. It works fine with pbuffer but not with FBO … Do i need to declare a stencil buffer in my FBO ? I don’t wants to have a stencil texture but I wants to use stencil to render my scene…

regards

To use stencil with FBO is only supported on Nvidia through this extension:
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/EXT/packed_depth_stencil.txt

yes I know… but I don’t understand how to use it… It don’t wants to render a stencil texture… but I just wants to be able to use a stencil buffer when rendering my scene in an FBO texture. Do I need to declare an FBO stencil texture do that ?

regards,

You don’t have to create a depth/stencil texture. Just create a depth/stencil renderbuffer like so:

GLuint depthStencilIdentifier;

glGenRenderbuffersEXT(1, &depthStencilIdentifier);
glBindRenderbufferEXT(GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, depthStencilIdentifier);

glRenderbufferStorageEXT(GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8_EXT, width, height);

glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT_EXT, GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, depthStencilIdentifier);
glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_STENCIL_ATTACHMENT_EXT, GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, depthStencilIdentifier);

thanks a lot … It works fine !!! I can now trash pbuffer… does anybody have performance problems when replacing pbuffer by FBO ?

Why such a question ? Performance problems could be driver issues.

I don’t have GL_DEPTH24_STENCIL8_EXT in my headers at all, neither any combination of DEPTH and STENCIL. I have the latest drivers for my card (nv 8174), so maybe it is due to linux ? Does anyone knows if that will be incorporated in a near future ? Also could I declare it myself ? If so, I lack its value.

However I have GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_NV which seems to work (didn’t really tested it yet, I’m just in the implementation stage).

Is there something similar on other cards, mainly ATI (like GL_DEPTH_STENCIL_ATI) ?

Hi,
I use glew … and glew is’nt updated … So I have download GLee (see recent news in opengl.org) and copy and past the corresponding declaration…

The relevant extension is
GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil

ATI has not yet implemented this.

I don’t want to hijack this thread, but after reading the spec is this the only way to get a true 24bit depth buffer is by using the EXT_packed_depth_stencil extension? So the usage example they show by making a texture bound to both the depth and stencil buffers how do I just get the depth portion of the buffer then? I have FBO’s working now and they work fine, but would like to have a bit more precision sometimes than 16bit… The ATI cards all but I think x1600 don’t support 24bit depth buffers…

I was believing that almost all depth buffer are actually 24 bits sized.

Originally posted by jide:
I was believing that almost all depth buffer are actually 24 bits sized.
Maybe I am a bit off and need to restate depth textures? I can’t remember right now which one…