getting quadric verts

Hi,

Is there any way to get the vertices generated by the various glu Quadric functions?

I believe you could use the GL_FEEDBACK mode and render your quadric : the feedback buffer would then contain the coordinates of all the vertices in the quadric.

A simpler thing to do would be to create your own quadric generator (which is really easy).

Why do you want those vertices ?

Regards.

Eric

Hi,

Thanks. I need the verts so i can save them to file. I thought of saving the arguments that are needed to make a quadric but that would make quadric files differant from my standard model format.

Well then I believe you had better writing your own quadric generation routines…

Actually, the GL_FEEDBACK mode should (I say should coz’ I did not test that !) work but it seems a ‘not-so-clean’ method to retrieve the vertices of an object…

If you need help on writing your own routines for the quadrics, post here !

Regards.

Eric

Yea i looked into the feedback and i agree that writing my own quadric classes/functions would be cleaner.

I will very much need help on writing my own routines.

Well, just ask which one you want to start with ! I have not written my own classes for each quadric but it is not really difficult to do (except perhaps for texture-coordinate generation).

I don’t know if the SGI OpenGL Source release features glu code… It might be a good idea to look at it !

Well, where do we start ???

Regards.

Eric

Originally posted by Eric:
[b]Well, just ask which one you want to start with ! I have not written my own classes for each quadric but it is not really difficult to do (except perhaps for texture-coordinate generation).

I don’t know if the SGI OpenGL Source release features glu code… It might be a good idea to look at it !

Well, where do we start ???

Regards.

Eric[/b]

I think Mesa should have source code for this stuff.

Kosta

I don’t think you can see the glu implementation but i could be wrong unless theres a way to read library files. In any case lets start with a sphere.

Thanks

Frank

Originally posted by eckiller:
[b]I don’t think you can see the glu implementation but i could be wrong unless theres a way to read library files. In any case lets start with a sphere.

Thanks

Frank[/b]

MESA is an Open Source implementation of OpenGL! You can read the whole sources!

Kosta