displaying hundreeds of md2 models

Hi, I am working on RTS game. The only problem is that I am unable to display more than 150 md2 models (500-700 triangles) because my fps is low (it equals 7 for 400 models). I need help. Does anybody know how to display md2 models fast?? I tried to use display lists and vertex arrays but speed didn’t change. I’ve also discovered that lighting and calcuating normals makes fps lower so I am not using it anymore. But still I don’t know what to do. I was thinking of reducing the number of triangles depending on distance between model and camera but I can’t find any information, and I daon’y know how to implement it. Somebody in this FaQ asked about md2 interpolation optimisations, but there was no responses. I need some tips how to fasten my game. (I am sure that drawing models lowers fps)

700 * 400 * 7 = nearly 2 million tris/sec
That is quite a lot.

You know, full 3d rts have fewer units at the same time on the screen. And you need obviously simpler models.

There is no completely general and correct way to have a simplified mesh from a high density one.

So, it will depends on your needs :
Serious Sam had a LOD system for geometry, connected with a Lightwave plugin. Each level with lower detail share all its vertices from the higher levels. This is good to reuse vertices, but it gives not the best visual results.
For Doom3 , the low poly model seems to be done from a NURBS or subdivision algorithm.

Maybe you can try to collapse the smallest edges to a single vertex, up to some threshold. Search for LOD, mesh simplification, etc and read what was said for the topic you mentionned. http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011445.html
Mesh simplification is more math& algo related : http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/cgi_directory/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=6

[This message has been edited by ZbuffeR (edited 01-31-2004).]

Isn’t it time we locked both of these (almost identical) threads?

Go google for “view independent progressive mesh simplification”. And don’t double post.