Ok, now we know how long we have been coders, but how about what we do for a living?

I myself am an aspiring game programer. But for a day job I work in a tech service shop routing calls. FACINATING I KNOW. Im just curious how many of us programmers are actualy making our worth with our programs?

isn’t there a forum for the ones who like polls ?

Julien

I work in a woodshop building die racks.

When I program, I add things to Spider3D.

>>isn’t there a forum for the ones who like polls ?<<

there was talk of adding some new forums a while ago (i dont think nothing came of it)

myself ive had at least 100 different jobs over the years (usually fruitpicking)
at the moment im been thinning apples since november (only 4 more days and thats finished + then ill be onto 40hour weeks, its gonna be like a holiday )

I write code for a living. Then I write code for enjoyment. Sad, really. At work, I write and design code that makes systems faster, more scalable, use less network bandwidth, and render better. At home, I write and design code that make systems faster, more scalable, and render better. For variety, I don’t need to worry about network bandwidth at home :slight_smile:

Originally posted by jwatte:
I write code for a living. Then I write code for enjoyment. Sad, really.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s like that

– Tom

Same as Tom and jwatte…

Just in case you’d like to know what kind of things I am coding:
http://www.mottmac.com/html/06/software.cfm

(yes I know it’s a shameless plug but I don’t expect any sale from posting that here!)

Regards.

Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 01-06-2003).]

I work for an Infrared Imaging software\hardware company (software developer).

We are big in Cement!
www.thermoteknix.com

i write code for a living:
games and other 3D-related apps in opengl.

I started my own company a couple of years ago and now I am having the time of my life in that company writing a 3d scene graph. I am the only one in the company so its a bit boring doing all the work myself but at least i am the boss :wink: as well as the chief programmer :wink:

Yes we all have our day jobs. I do engineering/design/drafting work for the military. Anyone who is in engineering knows it’s not as glamorous as it sounds. Engineering is how I got into graphics. Long time ago I starting doing CAD work and I got a free demo copy of MAX since were I was at the time was plugged into AutoDesk. I was also doing a lot of development and modding for different games (this is way back in the day). The two things came together, programming and art design. Unfortunately I am still doing engineering for the really nice paycheck. Wouldn’t be doing it for any other reason.

Devulon

I don’t think I could stand coding all day at work, since I do it in my spare time aswell. Would be too much programming for me. I have a degree in electrical engineering, but now I’m going deeper in the fields of signal processing and telecommunication.

im just a student in the 12 grade. soon i will fo to the army.

Originally posted by Bob:
I don’t think I could stand coding all day at work, since I do it in my spare time aswell.

That’s why I have a Playstation 2 for my spare time!

I finished school a few months ago, and I’m looking for a job now :frowning:

Currently studying computer sciences at college…

Looking forward to finding a job as a programmer after that.

That’s why I have a Playstation 2 for my spare time!

But I don’t

I’m working in communication : graphist, CG with Maya is the big part, but I’ve done a game at Kalisto (Mindscape, finished), a racing game for Michelin and more funny things (cinema managing system, multimedia programs…). I’m composer too.

I’m an independant, when I haven’t more job I’m working on an “advanced” tool for realtime 3d graphics and a big project for TV channels. I’ve started this project 5 years ago.

Gaby

Originally posted by gaby:
I’ve done a game at Kalisto

RIP…

A guy from my school worked there. Were you based in Bordeaux?

Regards.

Eric

[This message has been edited by Eric (edited 01-06-2003).]

Yes, in Bordeau, in 1995. I’ve made the game Al Unzer Jr Arcade Racing, do you know ?

Gaby