FP16 + antialiasing

I read that the high-end ATI cards (X1800+) support antialiasing with FP16 render targets. Does anybody have any idea on how to enable antialiasing ?

I tried to create a Pbuffer with an attribute WGL_SAMPLES_ARB set to 4, but no valid format is found when calling “wglChoosePixelFormatARB”. I haven’t tried with FBOs yet (i’ve yet to switch to FBOs).

Y.

Don’t loose your time trying with the FBOs, it’s not supported yet in OpenGL and I don’t think they care about it. It’s working in D3D, but fillrate performance are disapointing.

Well, what are my options to have both HDRI and antialiasing ? Other than rendering to a x4 buffer and sampling it 4 times in a pixel shader (costing x4 fillrate) ?

Don’t loose your time trying with the FBOs, it’s not supported yet in OpenGL and I don’t think they care about it.
Nobody’s implemented the extensions, but the necessary extensions do exist already.

Well, what are my options to have both HDRI and antialiasing ?
Under OpenGL, wait for the IHV’s to implement the appropriate extension specs.

Here are the 2 extensions, they have been completed and approved since december last year.

EXT_framebuffer_blit

EXT_framebuffer_multisample

I got news from ATI’s devrel. They have no intention of supporting FP16+antialiasing in their current drivers, because they prefer to focus on Vista. That’s pretty lame IMO: their hardware can already do it, they’ve been using this argument (ah, look Nvidia, we can do FP16+antialiasing) in their advertisements and marketings everywhere, and it will take a few years before Vista is well installed, but no…

Y.

I suppose there’s not enough money to make with this feature since no game use it.

Is there any plan to support this feature in the FireGL driver?