View Full Version : Skybox cloud layer (blah blah...)

03-25-2002, 07:27 AM
Now when I have a simple (working) skybox, how can I put a working cloud layer?
I tried moving multitexture for the top side of the box, but the cloud gets visible the corners of the box. Any idea how is the cloud layers realy done?

03-25-2002, 07:30 AM
as far as i can tell, your cloud layer is clipped against the skybox walls. to avoid this, render the skybox with a write-protected z-buffer. i think the command is
glDepthMask(GL_FALSE)to disable zbuffer-write
glDepthMask(GL_TRUE) to enable

you should probably also render the cloud layer with write-protection on so it doesn't interfere with your world you're rendering

[This message has been edited by hoshi55 (edited 03-25-2002).]

03-25-2002, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure what do you mean, but when the could moves, it shows the quad borders. I'm just wondering how could I 'smooth' the borders so they would kind of blend with the sky.

03-25-2002, 11:20 AM
Are you talking about having a sky box, *and* a cloud box? ...then scrolling the texture matrix of the cloud box?
You'll always see the edges of the box when moving the cloud box with the texture matrix. I can't see a problem with rotating the actual cloud box geometry, though - that should work ok. Just disable depth test on the cloud box while you're rendering it, so it doesn't get clipped by the sky box.

03-25-2002, 10:20 PM
Yes, yes I know. But have you seen the sky of Hitman Codename 47?
That's the kind of sky I want.