Cg Questions

I am completely green relative to Cg and have several questions about it. Any help would be appreciated…

1. Does Cg compile scripts to an linkable library, useable with C/C++ or do I have to ditch my existing engine and transition completely to Cg.

2. Will Cg work on non-nVidia cards?

3. What is the general consensus of the developer community relative to Cg? Is this a passing thing or am I going to have to re-educate myself and use it?

4. If I write Cg modules will I be able to use them with both DirectX and OpenGL or is there some difference in the way they are used with each?

5. Is nVidia committed to making this a freely accessible resource? Can we count on nVidia to keep it free or do I need to plan for a future payment of some sort?

6. Where is the best place for a Cg noob to get information on using it? Are there any developer’s websites that condense the existing documentation to a level readable for non-computer science gurus or do I need to wade through the mega-info presented by nVidia. … e.g. Is there a quick start guide somewhere?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.cgshaders.org/forums/