Oooiii e_e anyone know what would cause 850+ link errors completely out of the blue..

Oooiii e_e anyone know what would cause 850+ link errors completely out of the blue… ie virtually nothing significant was changed that i can remember. i did move my entire workspace from a desktop to the c:\directory… can’t remember if i compiled since. checked all the settings they look par usual. it seems like absolutely anything that is anything is an unresolved external… like maybe a library is not taking? here are some examples. this was really a rain on my parade e_e

Linking…
LINK : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __WinMainCRTStartup
Skeleton.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___pfnBkCheck
stack.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___pfnBkCheck
SDL.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __fltused
Shadow.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __fltused
Shape.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __fltused
Octree.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __chkesp
SDL.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __ftol
Affine.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _sqrt
Flora.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _sqrt
3DMath.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol “class std::basic_ostream<char,struct std::char_traits<char> > std::cerr” (?cerr@std@@3V?$basic_ostream@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@@1@A)
Affine.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol “class std::basic_ostream<char,struct std::char_traits<char> > std::cerr” (?cerr@std@@3V?$basic_ostream@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@@1@A)
Flora.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _acos
Skeleton.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol “public: __thiscall std::ios_base::Init::Init(void)” (??0Init@ios_base@std@@QAE@XZ)
Camera.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _atexit

… basically everything. i still can’t get over how amazing it is that anything will work with this many parts. but sometimes i really feel like i’m skating on thin ice.

i’d apreciate any ideas

Michael

You must think it is funny to create large topics…

There is too much noise here.
This is OpenGL coding: advanced forum. Please, don’t fill it with questions that doesn’t match this forum title.
For your question, it is better for you and us that you begin reading the compiler/linker help and maybe a programming in C book will help.
Thanks.

This is an opengl related forum, and I can’t see any OGL error in your post, anyway.

After that, try :

1. use relative paths to link your libraries (or standard libraries)

2. be more specific (and maybe try some C++ forum, this isn’t)

rIO.sK http://www.spinningkids.org/rio

Originally posted by Zak McKrakem:
For your question, it is better for you and us that you begin reading the compiler/linker help and maybe a programming in C book will help.
Thanks.

Actually, a programming in C++ book might help :slight_smile:

Score: 2, Funny.
Dooooh it’s not /. !

Julien.

sure i guess. sorry if i offended someone. its just an unexpected issue. i’ve read through all the docs. i’ve never had a problem resolving unresolved externals. as far as not being in the right bbs. if that is really how you feel. i don’t understand it but… doesn’t exactly seem to sensible to me. why does it matter? this sight gets paid for visitors… nevermind don’t want to draw attention. anyhow sorry. site didn’t seem to be beurgeoning with post anyways. and its not like this stuff isn’t opengl related. it is basically what all opengl programmers would have to deal with. what is opengl without context. what is a cat without cat food. not much for long. maybe that is a lame example but… anyways sorry to offend. my sincerest apologies.

there was a button that said ignore all default libraries that somehow got checked… i feel so lucky that i found it. say the word and i will delete the posts. i hope you all had fun at my expense???

take care

Michael

I’m not offended
If there were just some off topics it seems no problem. But this is not the case, as you can see reading topics from today and yesterday (more than one page of topics)
There is your topic. And everyday more off topics and beginners questions.
I would like a list administrator that moderates the content here. And not some of us remembering some of you that this is an OpenGL forum, that there is a search option for not to repeat the same questions… I feel boring remembering that.
Too much noise is why the people that can answer the real OpenGL ‘advanced’ questions are not going to answer them. Those people don’t have time to dig here to find ‘interesting’ questions.
I think that it is not very difficult to understand.
Maybe sometime you will find that you will like an answer that you can’t find in documentation, using GOOGLE or this forum’s (or other forum) search, and you will find that there is no interesting people to answer you.
I’m sure there are many people here thinking the same as you can read from some answers.

i do try. and to a beginner nothing seems a beginner question. how do you know when you are not a beginner? you can’t. its an impossibility. we are all absolute beginners in the big picture, ne. like i said if its a big deal to you i will consider your feelings in the future as i did this time. but its all releative. there is no such thing as a bad question. and i think that that button must be the button from hell, why would it exist. it seemed like a major problem from my perspective don’t you think. your whole project gos down in foul swoop with no possible explanation. and sorry but i just don’t need to be a member of a million bbs. i have enough trouble with this one. what if i had more bbs worth of people to piss. i would really be deep then wouldn’t i. ciao for now

What about creating a forum of “Off-Topic of all levels”?
It will make every people happy.

1. People can post questions which they think it is OT
  2. People can refer other people to post questions to this forum if they think this is a OT question.
  3. People who don’t like OT questions can simply not go to that forum.

or just a non-Opengl coding forum… maybe there is one i dunno.

There are many, like http://www.flipcode.com or http://www.gamedev.net

Their forums cover most programming issues you might encounter, and also some that are totally off topic from programming.

Maybe there should be links to other forums clearly visible to all which don’t have explicit opengl questions. Or is this bad for the visitor numbers?

Lars