Encode OpenGL Demo as MPEG

Hi,

I heard of encoding an openGL demo in mpeg video format. Has anyone details about this? I could not find any information using google. Which software will I need?

Thanx,

Blade.

Hi,

At least you can save eahc frame as a picture and use some program like Adobe Premiere to make a movie out of them. Perhaps there are some free programs for that too, I don’t know about them.

-Ilkka

Originally posted by TheBladeRunner:
[b]Hi,

I heard of encoding an openGL demo in mpeg video format. Has anyone details about this? I could not find any information using google. Which software will I need?

Thanx,

Blade.[/b]

i do not know much on mpeg though there is code on the net to save mpeg movies out of the frames.

but for windows it is possible to save into
avi files ( then using tols ( google) )convert avi to mpeg…)
a link is http://www.codeproject.com/audio/avigenerator.asp

also there are number of capture utilies … do not know if they would suite well fro your purposes.

Ours is http://www.capturepad.com

it is working non expirede beta… so it might suite your needs.

it saves as avi /jpegs/ flash …
once again it is possible to convert avis into mpeg…

as for our utility … we might add mpeg support - but as it is fee based … we just avoid in free beta.

You could use fraps (AVI) http://www.fraps.com
It’s very easy and works ok (for my apps at least.)
Disadvantages:
-No sound capturing
-64048032 fullscreen only

Charles

Hi,

I need sound capturing. So fraps won`t serve my purposes. I downloaded capturepad but it crashes my system when starting it. Are there any other possibilities? Avi or quicktime would be ok too.

Thanx,

Blade.

Originally posted by TheBladeRunner:
[b]Hi,

I downloaded capturepad but it crashes my system when starting it.[/b]

sorry . seems bug with directx version. utility requires dx 8.1 or higher … sorry once again I’m not a developer of this soft … but will pass your note to the person who develops it…

as for other alternatives - most utilites do not have played sound capture… so if captures not what is played but what is provided from input or microphone.

there is one utility
http://www.rendersoftware.com/products/camstudio/index.htm

which claims it is the only utility which captures sound from speakers…

( BTW found the utility just after we announced ours… ) was surprised that there is open source stuff like that…
we spent one man/year to develop our stuff
it costed our small company quite a bit money …

as today as saturday …just have some time to chatter

actually this was my idea - several years ago I came across the fact that directdraw allows to capture any portion of the screen … also it was known - that it is possible to write avis with vfw . When I devised idea of utility ( though there were some more brain devised stuff than I mention…) I though of me as of genuius

then I found there are quite a number of capture utilites… ( try google - I bet you will find some …) but as we had a need ( in company) to write video ( windows and linux) from simulated apps ( for our internal projects ) we though on that as a branch effort to develop utility as a part of inernal video/multimedia development efforts - would be OK …
I found a guy to continue my intial efforts…and now we have almost finished capturepad ( though for my eyes too many features we included are still ourtof user sign for different reasons such as gif/mpeg license fees issues… maybe we would work on it some time later…

but as there is such other free soft anyway … with one mentioned you even might take a look at code and learn a bit more on capturing…
BTW just to mention -this one utility uses quite different approach that we followed.
ours directdraw (direct3D) based capture code is four-five times bigger is size … yet has some special features which are not possible with approach of the guys.

so - there are choices and you may find the right for you.

[This message has been edited by SergeVrt (edited 05-03-2003).]