Making a hardware driver for openGL

Does anyone have experience with this?
I’d suspect that you would get a softwareimplementation and replace software functions with hardware calls one at the time, but does anyone know what software basis this might be? Doing everything from scratch is a bit unrealistic, but since I have a useful piece of hardware I would like to se if I could accelerate certain functions with it.

The platform is linux, but knowledge from any platform would be interesting. I do not have previous experience with driver development.

You started by the hardest driver possible! I develop network drivers, and they are already complicated. A 3D VGA is almost certainly a unhuman task for a single person.

Originally posted by Mr Pixel:
Does anyone have experience with this?
I’d suspect that you would get a softwareimplementation and replace software functions with hardware calls one at the time, but does anyone know what software basis this might be?

The platform is linux, but knowledge from any platform would be interesting. I do not have previous experience with driver development.

You can use SGI’s Opensource Sample Implementation or mesa .

Thanks, this was sort of the reply I was looking for. I was already looking at Mesa, but the reference implementation seems perhaps better suited for this purpose. I know it is ambitious but I’m not entirely alone on this project.