nVidia issue, too little geometry, slowdown

Guys, sorry if this doesn’t belong here. I thought that someone might have run across something like this before. Anyway, here goes.

I’ve got a doosie of a problem. Get this. I’ve got two systems. Both are dual Xeon dells. One has a nVidia FX3000 (AGP) while the other has a FX3400 (PCI Express). Windows XP Pro. If I load the latest nVidia drivers (61.82) I experience a slowdown. Well, not really a slowdown so much as the app (just the OpenGL window, not my cursor or the OS) freezes for 500-600 milliseconds. This app normally runs @ 60+ fps. If I load older drivers on the FX3000 (say, the 56.72 series) all is well. It appears that I can’t load drivers that old on the FX3400.

I’ve isolated the problem down to a small section of code that goes something like this:

(oh, keep in mind I was using glDrawArrays(), I removed it and replaced with calls to glBegin(), glVertex(), glEnd() to try and debug the problem)

pseudocode follows
{more comments follow)

for(;i < numstrips;i++)
{
  if(InFrustum(center->x, center->y, center->z, radius) <= 0.0f)
  {
    continue;
  }

glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);

int numpoints = (num points in this strip)
  int index = (next starting position of triangle strip)
  for(int j = 0; j < numpoints ;j++)
  {
    glVertex3fv(&pt[index + j].x);
  }

glEnd();
}

InFrustum is defined as follows:
float InFrustum( float x, float y, float z, float radius )
{
  float d;

for( int p = 0; p < 6; p++ )
  {
     d = frustum[p][0] * x + frustum[p][1] * y + frustum[p][2] * z + frustum[p][3];
     if( d <= -radius )
        return 0.0f;
  }

return d + radius;
}

Here’s the kicker, if I remove InFrustum OR if I simply comment out the continue, the app performs great. I’ve went so far as to include a dozen of so calls to InFrustum with no continue, still the app performs great. But, if I leave that continue in there the app will ‘lockup’ on occasion. One more thing, if I replace the Infrustum code block with a simple:

if(rand() & 1)
{
continue;
}

Everything works great.

I don’t get it. What’s going on here?

Did you try FW 66.81 (there is a link to public beta on nv driver page).

yooyo

If possible, please send me an app that reproduces this problem and I’ll make sure our driver team is aware of the issue.

I’m building an app right now that reproduces the problem.

I’m also having a technician build another system (a Dell) that has nothing installed but the bare essentials in hopes that there may be some sort of odd configuration issue. I doubt this is the case, but you never know.