OpenGL initialization on W2K with multiple monitors

Hi,
I use W2K with two graphics cards (PCI and GeForce2MX AGP). PCI card must be defined as primary in BIOS (otherwise monitor connected to PCI card does not work). But in this case all OpenGL programs start running with PCI card (without hardware acceleration of GeForce).

In “Display Properties” I changed AGP card to be primary, but in this case I have
“Can not get gl context” error during OpenGL initialization.

Does anybody have any idea how to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance

hi,

I’ve got the same problem … and I wasn’t able to solve it whereas it works fine with directX, but of course I don’t want to use this ugly API :wink:

This is a verified but in the Nvidia Win2K drivers dealing with OpenGL. I told them about it mid-last-year, and they supposedly have fixed it, but it hasn’t made it into a released driver yet (supposedly, and leaked driver after 6.50 or 6.70 is supposed to include this fix).

Here is the current deal.

To get OpenGL to work on the GF, you muct either choose a generic implementation, or set your “other” card as the primary and hope it works.

Thats the best you can do. If you want to run it on the GF based card, set your GF to primary, and un-extend your desktop.

This is MS fault. They never did update the opengl32.dll to support more than 1 monitor. What usually happens is you lose all hardware acceleration on BOTH. There are some ways around this, but it is not easy.

Originally posted by Elixer:
[b]This is MS fault. They never did update the opengl32.dll to support more than 1 monitor. What usually happens is you lose all hardware acceleration on BOTH. There are some ways around this, but it is not easy.

Thank you for answers.
It’s not a driver problem of nVidia (I am using now beta version 7.16).
I think that it’s really MS problem.
Elixer, could you say more about “some ways around this”?

Thank in advance
[/b]

Ok, check this one out… http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002490.html

I use Win2k with a PCI ATI Rage 128 and a Diamond Viper II, no promises that the info in the above with work. But I was in the same scenerio (BIOS doesnt have a selector so PCI is ALWAYS first and I lost hardware acceleration on both).

In short:
When you add a second monitor. Windows sets a reg key named ‘DisableOpenGL’ to ‘1’ under some settings for your primary display card. This is what disables ALL OpenGL hardware acceleration. When I changed that key to ‘0’ I got hardware acceleration back. Buts its not necessarily the right card… the aforementioned article descibes this…

oh yeah… if you follow ANY of this advice…

BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE YOU BEGIN!!!

and

I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES THAT MAY BE CAUSED WITH YOU PLAYING AROUND IN YOUR REGISTERY!!!

This isnt to scare you off, just to protect my butt

[This message has been edited by BwB (edited 02-05-2001).]