The Gathering 2002 - how was it for you ?

For those OGL’ers who went, did you come back converted to the dark side ?

The session entitled “Using noise in DirectX 9 Shaders.” sounded particularly interesting to me

Rob J.

This event was really interesting !

That being said, I feel the same than last year: OK, that’s great but now what do I do with this !

Anyway, that was really cool to meet Cass, John, Matt and Tom over there. Plus I now have a nice Jedi cloak and a fantastic light saber…

One last thing: Pocketmoon, I think our NDA should prevent us from talking about anything we’ve seen at the event (except Cg I suppose). So I am not sure whether you are allowed to talk about DX9 at all…

Regards.

Eric

he is allowed to say wich topic he was interested, as the topic-titles are “opensource” (try on google and you’ll find them).

but not more…

would like to have been there, thought…

Originally posted by davepermen:
he is allowed to say wich topic he was interested, as the topic-titles are “opensource” (try on google and you’ll find them).

True,

I just wanted to make sure that he does not go further than that (wouldn’t like to see ppl bothered for such things !): quite a lot of things could be said, really !!!

Regards.

Eric

It was great! Not only did we make a complete fool of ourselves by walking through London in our Jedi cloaks and carrying our lightsabers, we also saw lots of interesting new material. And of course I got to meet a bunch of people who I previously only knew from this forum or from e-mail conversations.

I loved the Cg stuff, but like Eric said we’re not allowed to talk about any of the really interesting stuff that was shown. I for one can’t wait for DX9-compliant hardware to come out.

– Tom

One picture of the people in the street before the event… http://www.cocodrile.com/~carabril/nv2002/DSC00006.JPG

eek! Sometimes I’m glad I’m NOT a professional games developer

I notice a lack of RED light sabres… M$ being paranoid perhaps!

I was wondering about the ‘Use of Noise’ presentation because of the computational complexity of generating good noise value in shaders. Ken Perlin himself has often proposed a hardware implementation of his noise functions.

They look like ‘love toys’ to me…

I thought the event was really interesting and gave us a glance into what is to come which looks scarily good. The Micro$oft guy squirming over OpenGL 2.0 was especially amusing.

Its also interesting to see the debate raging about whether Cg is a good or bad thing. Maybe I was brainwashed during the conference, but I came away thinking that it is definitely a good and necessary move forward.

But can you believe I lost my lightsaber on the train home, very depressed about that one.

Matt

It was great meeting you guys - especially the ones of you I knew through here. I had a great time too!

I’m glad you think the next-gen stuff is exciting. It really is.

Cass

Go on then, tell us all the secrets…create yourselves an annoymous login to this newsgroup and spill the beans…

NDA my arse - anyone with a commercial interest in knowing what is to be known would have simply bought a ticket…jeez, you people are uptight (everything is alright…)

Where are these meetings held anyway and what do you have to do to get in?

Anything happened near Montreal? Missed A lot of fun it seems

V-man

knackered,

Buying a ticket is one thing. However, you also sign a piece of paper (that’s the “NDA” part). Those things actually, honestly do matter if you ever get in an ugly legal fight over intellectual property. If nVIDIA just plastered their future plans on the Internet, they’d not only NOT have that recourse, but they could also get sued by shareholders if they didn’t actually fulfill all the projections.

Originally posted by V-man:
[b]Where are these meetings held anyway and what do you have to do to get in?

Anything happened near Montreal? Missed A lot of fun it seems

V-man[/b]

The meeting was in London and you just had to buy your ticket to get in (unless there were other restrictions that I don’t know about).

Don’t know about anything happening in Montreal…

Regards.

Eric