Infinite shadow volumes

[Again, i know]
I’m building a flight simulator (web site) and i’m still having trouble with shadow volumes.
If i setup the near clip plane at 0.1 shadows are correctly displayed but far terrain is messed up (z-buffer fighting, see figure here ).
If i setup the near clip plane at 1.0 terrain is ok but shadows are not displayed ( see figure here ).

From what i understood, setting up infinite shadow volumes can solve this. Right ?
Or is it something relative only to depth buffer precision ?
I tried also to render first the terrain (with near plane at 1.0), then cleaning the depth_buffer and rendering near objects (with near plane at 0.1). Failure again.

Any idea ? Enabling GL_DEPTH_CLAMP_NV solves the problem, but only on nvidia hardware of course.

If infinite shadow volumes is the way to go, i have several questions about it.
First of all, i’d like to know if the pseudo code could look like this:

void main_loop()
{
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT | GL_STENCIL_BUFFER_BIT);
ReSizeGLScene(screen_x, screen_y, perspective_angle, 1.0, 1000000); //near_plane=1.0 //far_plane=1000000
Render_Terrain();
Render_Aircraft();
infinite_frustum();
Render_Shadows_two_passes();
}

where infinite_frustum() is the following:

float fAspect = (float)screen_x / (float)screen_y, fFOV = float(perspective_angle);
float fNear = 0.001f, fFar = 10.0f;
float fTop = fNear*(float)tan(double(fFOV/2.0f)), fBottom = -fTop, fRight = fAspect * fTop, fLeft = fAspect * fBottom;
float epsilon=3.0e-5F;
result_mt[0] = 2.0f*fNear/(fRight-fLeft);
result_mt[1] = 0.0f;
result_mt[2] = 0.0f;
result_mt[3] = 0.0f;
result_mt[4] = 0.0f;
result_mt[5] = 2.0f*fNear/(fTop-fBottom);
result_mt[6] = 0.0f;
result_mt[7] = 0.0f;
result_mt[8] = (fRight+fLeft)/(fRight-fLeft);
result_mt[9] = (fTop+fBottom)/(fTop-fBottom);
result_mt[10] = epsilon-1.0f;
result_mt[11] = -1.0f;
result_mt[12] = 0.0f;
result_mt[13] = 0.0f;
result_mt[14] = (epsilon-2.0f)*fNear;
result_mt[15] = 0.0f;
glLoadMatrixf((GLfloat *)result_mt);

I have read also http://developer.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=robust_shadow_volumes and Eric Langyel article at Gamasutra, but since i’m a not very experienced programmer (trying perhaps to do something complicate), i understood the concepts but could not “translate” them in code.
Thanks for any help and excuse me for this “recurring” subject of mine.

Alex

It’s not clear what your problem is from the picture. Infinite shadow volumes reduce the need to manage volume caps at the far plane by projecting the ends of a volume to infinity with w=0, so I doubt they’re your problem but it depends on the details of what you’re seeing.